Maxsurf and Stepped Hulls! Need Help Please!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Adis, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Adis

Adis Junior Member

Hello to everybody,

I would like to ask a question about maxsurf, in a problem I have, which its solution seems I cannot find anywhere (sorry if this has been re-posted somewhere).

I want to design a deep-V with stepped bottom. What is the best way to design the steps?

I could imagine two ways:

1) By design the complete hull normally (no stepped hull), and then design another 3d object which will be the step, and then put this object in the correct location, and do trim between the two (hull and the step). However this solution for me is really difficult to perform and it is time consuming

2) The other way I could think, is to split the hull in as many surfaces plus one, as the steps. To clarify more, I mean that:
    - First Surface is from bow to the end of the hull where the first step is starting
    - Second Surface will start from that place (where the first surface finished) till the transom OR if TWO steps will be implemented, then this surface will end where the second step is starting
    - Third Surface will start from that place till the transom. (this surface only if we have two steps in the hull)

Does anyone here has ever designed any such vessel with Maxsurf and what was the procedure he followed?

Is there any good tutorial for designing such kind of hulls with Maxsurf?

The makers of Maxsurf, have any suggestion on this issue?

Thank you in advance for any king of help.;)

2. bhnautika

bhnautika Senior Member

Adis the way I did it was a combination of both your ideas, I created a number of surfaces join together for the bottom which gives you control of the shapes. I created the topside surface, which connected at the bow with the bottom surfaces. Both surfaces overlapped as they moved down the boat. I then trimmed off the excess from both lots of surfaces. I have tried to do it as just two connected surfaces and it is possible but it’s very messy.

Attached Files:

3. Andrew Mason

Andrew Mason Senior Member

My recommendation would be for trimmed surfaces, it gives you a lot more freedom to change or move the step.

4. Adis

Adis Junior Member

Thank you both for the reply.

bhnautika,
    What you suggest is another possibility in order to create the steps. However, I do not know if it is the best way, in order to make a Deep-V Stepped hull, with strakes running the bottom.

Andrew,
    I would have thought that trimmed surfaces would be better too, but I cannot imagine any other way to do the steps using trimmed surfaces, apart from the one I described in my first message. Can you help me a bit more here please? Can you provide me with further and a bit more detail directions if you have the time and does not waste your time? Is there any relevant tutorial to help me get more familiar with creating stepped hulls in Maxsurf? Your help in the subject will be highly appreciated.

Here is the hull I would like to add one or preferably, two steps.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.