CAD design process.

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Hampus, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Hampus

Hampus Junior Member

This might be a dumb question and very obvious, or it might not. I'm just trying to learn enough to be able to ask the right questions :D

How does your CAD design process look? Do you start by sketching on paper and proceed to CAD? Start a conceptual 3D model right away? Do a linesplan in a CAD software and go 3D from there?

I'm trying Rhino and Delftship and i'm trying to figure out the best process. I like sketching on paper, but doing the entire linesplan on paper would be too time consuming. So, I fugure I'd either do a model in Rhino and export it to delftship to do the hydrotatics and linesplan, or do the hydrostatics and linesplan in Delftship and use the linesplan as a background in Rhino and go from there. I prefer working in Rhino as I find it more versitile and intuitive.

So, how do you do? It doesn't really matter what software you use, I'm just curious on the process.

/Hampus

2. Grant Nelson

Grant Nelson Senior Member

Each person develops their own overall approach, but in general
    I import my hand sketches into Rhino and make a rough 3d design and make sure I can get what I need into it.
    Then its off to Delfship (I use ORCA3D or MaxSurf), and create a hull that comes pretty close to what I sketched. There are too many ways (and steps) in doing that to cover here, but it is discussed in other topics).
    THen export the lines to Rhino and do some which design work to make sure evertying fits. If it does, you are lucky and can move on for the rest in Rhino. If not, you tune it in Delftship.
    In Rhino, you can go two routes, ether draw out more with lines in profile, plan and body views, and then spin these into 3d objects, or make your stuff in 3d and eventually export them as 2D designs. Its best to pop back and forth between the two. I only do the basics in Rhino, and then export to AutoCad, for the detailed drawings. Once in a While I go back to Rhino to help see how something looks and fits in 3d, get it right there, and export just the few lines for that part back to Autocad as reference.
    You migh even want to keep two drawings in Rhino, one for the 3d, and one for your 2d, as real plans tend to get quite complex, and need dimensioning, labling, etc, and to keep track of those in a 3D drawing can be combersum.
    PS, I am only an amature, but am studying yacht design and my work using this approach as recieved good grades so far.

3. Scott Carter

Scott Carter Senior Member

Hampus,
    I know this doesn't directly address your question, but from your other post in "education" I know you're considering a design course. One thing to keep in mind if you choose the Westlawn route is that the whole first module (there are four total) which is 12 lessons is required to be done by hand drafting. It's not an insignificant amount of time spent in front of a real drawing board. No CAD submissions. As you plan to be on a boat it's something to plan for. I've heard about Westlawn students doing just what you're considering (doing the work while at sea) but I don't have any info for you on how they managed. It's do-able, in my mind. Maybe contact Westlawn directly to pose that specific question.

4. Hampus

Hampus Junior Member

Scott, thanks for the reply.

Yes I want to go the CAD way. Therefore I'm now looking at YDS instead of Westlawn, with the additional CAD course prior to the Yacht design course. YDS is also a bit cheaper and you pay per lesson instead of per module, which is a good thing while living on a thin stretched cruising kitty :cool:

/Hampus

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.