Cabin and Deck design...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CanuckGuy, Sep 14, 2009.

1. CanuckGuy

CanuckGuy Junior Member

Hi all,

I'm in the midst of building my own custom design 42' wooden ketch (Epoxy strip+veneer). The building is progressing well, but I would like to get some feedback on cockpit/cabin/deck designs out there.

It seems that the boldest cabin+cockpit design I've found so far is from the Spirit Yachts series.

Every other wooden boat I've looked at seems to have what is essentially a rectangular extrusion on the deck.

Honestly, this doesn't inspire me. Does anyone here know of any inspiring cockpit/cabin designs on wooden yachts?

Thanks.

2. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

Good design is about integration and subtlety. I think the Spirit houses scream "Look at me!", and they're ugly. They could be much better integrated into the designs. Their portlight layout is always wrong (too many and too big) and the trim rings are horrible.

A properly designed cabin is far more than a "rectangular extrusion". The sides are curved and tumble home, the forward end is raked and may be curved or faceted, and the top is radiused with subtle curves where it meets the cabin side, and window/port layout is never easy to get right.

rose24.jpg

Bemfujjo.jpg

signe_a.jpg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.