C.o.i. Verification ???

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by boatbuilder41, Jun 21, 2014.

1. boatbuilder41

boatbuilder41 Senior Member

Does anyone know of a website to verify that a boats c.o.i. is current? I used to build "t" vessels up to 149 passengers and i have been out of the big builds for a few years. I am now doing some minor repairs on a friends boat. he said the boat has a current c.o.i. and doesn't have to be inspected. If it had a current c.o.i. it can be transfered only within its zone without a total re- inspection. anyyway.....i know that c.o.i. must be displayed where it is visible to passengers. the only one displayed expired in 2011. I believe he was mislead . he didn't do his homework before purchase and i know he is fixin to get in over his head. He insists that the vessels c.o.i. is current. how would we verify that. he doesn't think it has to go thru re- INSPECTION. if it does than he has to apply with the new revisions in subchapter "t". Very expensive upgrades for sure. and i can't find a new "t" book that has been upgraded. its a pain in my backside to find all the new revisionsupdated into one boook. cancanybody help us out

2. boatbuilder41

I'm not sure i posted this in the rightt place. and i apoligize for the mis spelling. i was mobile

3. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

The USCG maintains a website called the Port State Information Exchange (PSIX for short).

It can be accessed at the following address:

https://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/

You can use the 'Vessel Search' feature to look up vessels by name, official number, date of build, etc. If the vessel is in the database and inspected, the information listed by the PSIX will list when the current COI was issued, and any details of other contacts with the USCG will list any subsequent inspections done.

PS: It's not clear what sort of work the boat owner plans to do, but for inspected vessels, any modifications should be cleared by talking with the local USCG Officer in Charge, Marine Inspection (OCMI). If your friend is operating a passenger boat for hire which should have a current COI, he is risking being cited by the USCG if they should drop by or stop him on a voyage and do a surprise inspection or document check.

4. boatbuilder41

Thanks for the information.

5. boatbuilder41

No. He is not operating yet. This is his first t class boat and it was certified at one time. He.... like many others haven't heard of the fire upgrades. And I can't find much about them myself.

6. NavalSArtichoke

NavalSArtichoke Senior Member

It's not clear what you mean by 'fire upgrades'. Can you describe this term more fully?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.