c-flex glass

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Islandboy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Islandboy

Islandboy Junior Member

hey im requesting info on how to make a c flex frame step by step for a design that i have. i want to know do's and dont's, materials that i will need,alternatives for materials, how to transfer measurements to materials and tools i will need. i hope i have provided enough info to get a sensible reply if not leave a number contact please and i will contact you if you dont understand my request.

thanks everyone.

1 person likes this.
  2. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Islandboy, I cant think of a c-flex project around here(Australia) for like 20 years +, maybe find some suppliers of it before proceeding, maybe they still use it in the US ? Regards from Jeff.

3. BTScow

BTScow Junior Member

There is a guy in New Orleans - David Sintes - who builds in C-Flex or used to. Give him a shot.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Why C-Flex?

5. BTScow

BTScow Junior Member

I think because it lends itself well to one-off building at a competitive price.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

7. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Nice link Sam Sam, C flex seems to have fallen out of use here, maybe some of the industrial guys use it, but looks like a good pruduct. Regards from Jeff.

8. moTthediesel

moTthediesel Junior Member

I built a C.W. Paine designed "Frances 26" using C-Flex about 25 yrs. ago. It was a good method for building one-off in glass then, and I'm sure it still would be now. Boat is still solid with no blisters or soft spots.
    Just build with station molds on a strongback like any other boat. Staple C-Flex over the molds, soak with resin, then continue lamination schedule from there, then fair and finish the surface and paint.
    moT

9. Ironmaster

Ironmaster Gold Member

link to Dave Sintes Fiberglass

It´s strange that c-flex doesn´t seem to enjoy more popularity and more widespread use than it does....it seems to be a convenient method for one-off building. Besides it lends itself well to building hulls featuring compound curves.

....Those involved in fiberglass boatbuilding seem to favor obtaining compoundly curved one-off hulls by strip planking over frames using bead and cove foam core strips. Hulls built that way tend to be not as resin rich as the c-flex ones and thus tend to be lighter. Maybe that´s the explanation why c-flex is not in today?

.....Anyway...Dave Sintes offers designs and frame kits for those who want to build from c-flex...he also sells the stuff and he also sells a "how to" video on c-flex boatbuildingn.. I also think Seemann Composites....the producer of c-flex prefers to distribute the stuff via Dave Sintes.........so he is the guy you should talk to

Check out his website

http://www.sintesfiberglass.com/

10. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I went to the link Ironmaster supplied. That's a good site. Look at this other use for C-flex...

A lot of people say putting glass over wood wrecks the boats, but they do it here for 50-80' shrimp boats. Below is a link to the C-flex building manual, also from the same site Ironmaster supplied. You can also get a good idea on how to build a giant duck, there.

http://www.sintesfiberglass.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/cflex20manual-web.pdf

11. Ironmaster

Ironmaster Gold Member

.......By the way, once upon a time........in the good old days before hurricane Kathrina struck New Orleans......there was downloadable at Sintes´s website a short video on c-flex boatbuilding. I think it´s not there anymore. If anyone is interested in viewing it.. I can send you a link to it´s location..just drop me a message.

12. Islandboy

Islandboy Junior Member

boat building link c flex

may i have that link please

13. Islandboy

Islandboy Junior Member

can some one tell me what is a bulkhead and how it is made

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.