Buying the right design software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boatbuilder NL, Aug 30, 2006.

1. Boatbuilder NL

Boatbuilder NL Junior Member

I want to buy a design software program, have tried demo versions of Prolines and RhinoMarine. As I understand it, You can use Prolines to do the hull design but then You need a second cad program to do all the final design, and in RhinoMarine You can design the hull, deck, structures, fittings etc.?

I find Prolines very easy to use, but would be pleased to hear other users experience with these programs! By the way, I want to concentrate about RIB designs and workboat designs.

Thanks!

2. CGN

CGN Senior Member

I use 4programs, in general a Hull modeler, a surface modeler a MCAD for parts and a CAD software

Freeship+Rhino+Solidworks or Alibre+Autocad LT or intellicad, works fine but any other combination will do the job.

Maxsurf, prosurf, Freeship +Rhino or Touchcad+Solidworks or Solid edge or shipconstructor (but you need to add Autocad full version)+CAD

There are software's that can probably handle all but is all about budgets and what really works, for example Freeship+rhino can be used to do all (hull design hydrostatics and structural including cnc and 3D modelling in general and about expander is a good "add on" to rhino but you still can create some developable surfaces using rhino so expander is not required.

All the programs i mentioned i have used and they do their part, again i think budget is important and for the type of boats you want any of the mentioned will do, i used prolines before but is not close to freeship or maxsurf or prosurf, it's a good software but i found the others more complete.

cheers

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.