Restoring 23' 1983 Wellcraft Aft Cabin I/O

Discussion in 'Materials' started by LMannyR, Jul 19, 2007.

1. LMannyR

LMannyR Junior Member

Just got my 1st project and would like some advise. I would like to redo the boat from the inside out.

My first question is, what type of materials are used for the interiors these days. I would rather not replace carpet with carpet but I'll keep an open mind. Are there marine grades or is it just the same materials used in cars and home kitchens?

Is the cabinetry just fancy formica in the new boats these days? Or is it real wood varnished/sealed?

What do they use for the sides and ceiling?

Again my cabin is covered with carpet from floor to ceiling. I just think there is a better way. Vinyl?

Thanks!!

Thanks....

2. LMannyR

LMannyR Junior Member

Here are some pictures of what looks like the original interior. This the beginings of a restoration project of a 1983 Wellcraft Aft Cabin 230.

Wonder how that fridge fits through the cabin doors?

Attached Files:

3. Agewon

Agewon Junior Member

Check the stringers

While you're in there, check the stringers. I once had a 1988 Wellcraft 230 Coastal and the port side stringers were rotted due to poor fabrication. Also, the previous owner drilled holes to allow water drainage and never sealed the wood.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.