Buying a yacht to sail around england

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by willfox, Dec 31, 2011.

1. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Michael you don't have to be English to do that you just have to be mad, or that other big word to describe people who get pleasure in hurting themselves--like listening to country music lyrics.:D (I'm an old Rocker)However back on topic --my comforth level is a nice warm wheelhouse in a motorsailer that looks old school but performs. Here in Atlantic Canada as far as i'm concerned it's the cats as and the conditions would be very similar to circumnavigating England with Scotland and Ireland as part of the route.

2. murdomack

murdomack New Member

Yes it is, We were across the pontoon from one, in Oban, a few years ago and got invited aboard. I was impressed, very solid and comfortable, but compact too.

3. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Says a lot for the Victorias that the joint services renewed their fleet with them. Years ago I did some sailing with the TA and the boats were fully booked all year round and had to be tough. Never the less, for about the same money (£57k) you could buy this.

[​IMG]

If you were unlucky enough to hit a rock or collide at night with an unlit buoy the steel hull would probably survive, the plastic may not.
    Nick.

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Nice boat.

Steel is high maintenence. Particularly small steel boats with thin plating. Before you buy , survey carefully the condition of steel, tanks and paint system.

Renewing the paint system....epoxy primer to steel .... is very expensive.

5. Nick.K

Nick.K Senior Member

Hi Will
    Keep this alive! So what sort of sailing are your family in to? Michael's English madness - smashing to windward on a Pogo 40 with the rain in your face (actually I admit I enjoy a bit of that too) or a bit more sedate on a Victoria or Koopmans?
    Nick.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.