Buying a 20-year old boat with rust

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by L Taylor, Feb 16, 2006.

1. L Taylor

L Taylor New Member

I am look at buying a 20-year-old 42-foot ex-fishing trawler. It has a fair bit of surface rust on the deck and a fair bit of flaking about the bilges. What visual signs of serious rust problems should I be looking for in a second-hand steel boat and is it worth getting the hull ultra-sounded?:confused:

2. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

a professinal boat surveyor at this time will be money well spent, Even a expirianced sailor could benifit from this,,,good luck .longliner

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Most working craft (fishing boats, etc.) have lived a hard, long life after 20 years of service. If it seems like a real deal, then you'll probably get what you pay for, a rust bucket. John (LongLiner) is quite correct and I second the motion to have a survey performed, or you may have little more then a steel tub to toss thousand dollar bills into as you take a bath. I perform surveys and you can expect to pay a professional for several hours of expertise and effort.

4. L Taylor

L Taylor New Member

Thankyou for your helpful words. The boat does seem to be a bargain and it seems to be too cheap to be true so I will get a surveyor to have a good look at it.

5. Corpus Skipper

Corpus Skipper Hopeless Boataholic

Survey survey SURVEY!!!!!!:!: :!: :!:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.