Buttocks

Discussion in 'Hydrodynamics and Aerodynamics' started by DogCavalry, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I notice that some query the cavitation issue as one that held the sled idea back, but I would say that at least for single engine installations, it would have been a source of trouble. Twins, it may still be a problem, but if you are going to use twins, I say a cat would be a better idea.

2. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

You really love cats!

I really love sleds. I’m beyond hope or reason sir. I’ll have a sea sled, or die, pining for one. Since I’m doomed anyway, I’ll make the best that my hands and brains, and tiny budget will allow.

3. Mr Efficiency

All the rescue services, water police etc use cats here, and for good reason

4. Mr Efficiency

I do like your quixotic ideas, but probably because I'm not footing the bill !

DogCavalry likes this.
  5. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Lol! Fair enough.

6. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

These Noosa Cats are very impressive indeed.
    I was on a mini-walkabout in Oz 20 years ago (from Sydney to Cairns and back on the buses) and I stopped off in Noosa for a couple of days, and wandered in to the Noosa Cat yard to say hello. They were very helpful and interesting to talk to, and I came away armed with a stack of brochures (these were pre-internet website days) even though they knew that I wasn't in the market for buying one of their craft.
    Noosa Cat Australia https://noosacat.com.au/

7. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

So here's the best photo I've seen of this action
    Note there's no bow wave. I do see a large rooster tail from the large 1928 surface piercing propellors. I also see a tiny stern wave. Looks like lateral flow down the tunnel and under the transom rolls the stern wave inwards. Fascinating.
    26-0.jpg

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    bajansailor likes this.
  8. Mr Efficiency

I'd be leery of dynamic instability with a sled. Especially if lightweight, and high powered. Corkscrew rolling isn't unheard of in lightweight cats, it would likely be more pronounced with a sled, driven hard at an angle to head seas. What may save the day, the driver has already backed off after bone-jarring landings ! But it is a factor, and may explain a few mysterious capsizes of asymmetric power cats, that had more "shape" down the tunnel, than outside it.

9. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

This particular sled will never be lightweight, or high powered. Think of a tradesman's lorry loaded with bits and pieces, half a dozen lads in heavy practical boots, their tools, 25 sheets of 15mm plywood, and a dozen bags of cement.

A sled gives more speed at any power to weight ratio, or at least that was the professional opinion of George Crouch. It also is completely level, when landed on a beach, like a cat. And I think they're cool.

There's nothing in the literature to expect slamming. In fact the literature suggests the opposite. But I aim to find out.

j

bajansailor likes this.
  10. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

What is the scheduled launch date at this point, "looking forward"?

11. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I've got the shop until the end of August. After that I'm working on it outdoors. Evenings and weekends for the next 10 months.

12. BlueBell

Excellent.

"Perfect" as the youth would say.

DogCavalry likes this.
  13. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I'm nervous as hell. I wish sleds were as common as lobster boats back home. I'd have more to follow.

BlueBell likes this.
  14. BlueBell

An East-coaster 'eh, shoulda' oda known...

This will likely be the craziest thing you've ever done.

15. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

LOL! If it makes the top 5 I'll be surprised. It's genuinely astonishing that I'm alive.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.