For You, Dynamite

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by CarlC, Mar 28, 2011.

1. CarlC

CarlC Junior Member

Word reached us late last week that Harold “Dynamite” Payson had passed. This is heartbreaking, and so is life.

Dynamite was a very distinct and wonderful human being.

And a very great friend and important part of the family that is WoodenBoat.

I remember walking into his shop — many times — during the early ’70s. ”Dynamite, how can I do this?” Each time, and with patience, he would walk me through my difficulties. As a teacher, he was without parallel. We would (well, he would, and then explain to me) go through the process.. and find answers/solutions.

He revolutionized boatbuilding for so many: He made it accessible, through his books, his writings, and at his classes here at the WoodenBoat School.

I invited him to come as our guest when we honored Phil Bolger at the WoodenBoat Show a few years ago. He replied, “It’s so hot — I’ve got to go down to the basement.” Dynamite wasn’t much for traveling out of town.

We shouldn’t over-burden his beloved family right now.

But what we each should do is find a neighboring family, and introduce them to the joys of instant boatbuilding. I can think of no greater tribute, now and in the years to come. We’ll find a night to remember him at a future WoodenBoat Show. And we can all bring our instant boats in his memory. (If you'd like to post comments, either here or at www.woodenboat.com/boat -- we'd welcome them.)

Thanks, Carl

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
    2 people like this.
  2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Thanks Carl, he'll be missed in many ways and thank you for providing what you've accomplished, since those days in the 70's in Dynamite's shop.

3. messabout

messabout Senior Member

I never met dynamite in person but I spoke to him on the phone several times. He was always a consummate gentleman and he always did what he promised to do. We have lost a clever old lobsterman as well as very good man.

4. CarlC

CarlC Junior Member

Nicely spoke, messabout. Thanks, Carl

5. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

It was one of Payson's books that got me hooked on boatbuilding back in elementary school. I'm still getting good use out of the runabout I built from plans he and Phil Bolger drew up. He did so much to make the wonderful world of wooden boats accessible to so many people. We'll miss him.

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Payson's 'Build the New Instant Boats' was one of the first books I bought related to boatbuilding and boat designs. Other books I bought early on were Phil Bolger's 'Boats With an Open Mind' and '100 Small Boat Rigs,' along with John Gardner's 'The Dory Book' and 'Building Classic Small Craft.'

Along with Woodenboat's three Catalogs of Building Plans, that little handful of books kept me absorbed and daydreaming for many a quiet evening.

7. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I share the loss of this teacher and craftsman.

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Thanks for the heads-up. Apparently that one sneaked by me, when it came out in 2007. I just ordered a copy on my Kindle; when I get off work I'll hit the local Starbucks parking lot and download it on their wi-fi.

add: I've been through the first few pages, and it's like visiting with an old friend.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.