Business Management Forum ?

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by gmeadows, Oct 3, 2003.

1. gmeadows

gmeadows Junior Member

Has anyone thought of starting a discussion forum that deals with the pitfalls of running a boat business be it boat-building, yacht design, restoration or all of the above. Topics could include contracts, estimating and scheduling work, to have or not to have employees, insurance, how to not starve in your first 5 years and factors to consider before hanging out your shingle.

I just posted a bio on my situation and although I am well down the path, I know I could really use some help in trying to figure out what some realistic goals should be. I have started other companies so I have the basic business skills but the boat business is full of its own quirks. I am not looking to make a fortune as I have heard all the stories about the reality being very different but I am drawn to the work because I love it. I have done significant amounts of building and I am now looking at attending YDS and also trying to figure out how I might get some restoration experience other than just doing it and making mistakes the hard way. If I could become established over a five year period and figure out how to remain in the black, then I would be extremely happy.

2. SailDesign

SailDesign Old Phart! Stay upwind..

gmeadows says:

If I could become established over a five year period and figure out how to remain in the black, then I would be extremely happy.

Dang, I've been in the business for 23 years nowm and I _still_ haven't figured it out.. ;-)

Steve

3. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Mr. Meadows,

All these topics are covered at an extremely good conference called IBEX (International Boatbuilders Exhibition and Conference). Go to www.ibexshow.com for more information. The next one is in Miami Beach on October 27-29. I will be there as a moderator, and this will be I think the 11th year that I have gone. Usually I am a speaker, but having just move my business from Rhode Island to Florida, I did not have the inclination to prepare a speech or two.

However, IBEX is put on by the good folks at Professional Boatbuilder magazine, a subisidiary of WoodenBoat magazine. More information and to sign up for a free subscription can be found at www.proboat.com. PBB is a must for anyone in the boatbuilding business.

There is a very extensive equipment show (for industry participants only, not the general public) as well as lecture sessions on every facet of the business, covering many of the topics that you asked about.

Also, as a matter of interest in restoration, do you know about the International Yacht Restoration School in Newport, RI? They teach short courses in restoring wood yachts, all with the purpose of getting every boat they work on back in the water. They do both sail and power boats, from whitehalls and beetle cats to Concordia yawls (they own the very first one) and large express cruisers. They also own the oldest wooden yacht currently in existence in the US, Coronet, about 130' long, built in 1885. I think they have a website, and it is probably www.iyrs.org. If that does not work, do a search on Google for IYRS or International Yacht Restoration School.

Good luck, and welcome to the industry.

Eric Sponberg

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.