Bush sells-out US Ports..

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Caldera Boats, Feb 15, 2006.

1. Caldera Boats

Caldera Boats Beer4Ballast......

United Arab Emirates firm to operate six major U.S. ports

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM

Monday, February 13, 2006

WASHINGTON — The Bush administration has approved a deal in which a United Arab Emirates company would operate six major ports in the United States.

A U.S. government panel has determined that the UAE firm, DP World, would not endanger national security.

DP World, based in Dubai, has offered $6.8 billion for the purchase of a British firm that operates the ports of Baltimore, Miami, New York, New Jersey, New Orleans and Philadelphia, Middle East Newsline reported.

DP World intends to acquire the London-based Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation [P&O] Co. The sale was expected to be approved on Monday.

"The P&O directors have withdrawn their recommendation of the offer by PSA, which was announced on Jan. 26, 2006, and unanimously recommend that P&O Stockholders vote in favor of the revised proposals at the meetings, which are now scheduled to take place on Feb. 13," DP World said in a statement.

The company said the U.S. Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States "thoroughly reviewed the potential transaction and concluded they had no objection." The committee includes representatives from the departments of Treasury, Defense, Justice, Commerce, State and Homeland Security.

The United Arab Emirates has been described as a leading military ally of the United States. In 2005, the UAE acquired the first 10 of 80 F-16E/F Block 60 multi-role fighters in a $6.4 billion purchase.

But officials said the UAE has not fully responded to repeated appeals from the Treasury Department to halt money-laundering activities exploited by Al Qaida and aligned groups. They said that for years Dubai served as a base for Al Qaida operatives, including those who destroyed the World Trade Center and a Pentagon wing in 2001.

"America's busiest ports are vital to our economy and to the international economy, and that is why they remain top terrorist targets," Sen. Charles Schumer, a New York Democrat, said. "Just as we would not outsource military operations or law enforcement duties, we should be very careful before we outsource such sensitive homeland security duties."

Source: http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/06/front2453780.0986111113.html

:confused: :confused:

2. kach22i

kach22i Architect

The same people who have recieved failing grades from Congressional review boards (on Homeland Security) say it's an okay deal?

I want a second opinion.

3. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

That is frightening Gentlemen! One of the oldest (and proudest) British Shipping companies bought out by a bunch of ra*****ds! Years ago we wouldn't have employed 'em as dohby wallahs! Too unreliable, and the Trucial Oman arab was one of the better ones!

The good thing is they won't actually be doing any work (the arab has this allergy see), but they will own it (so you ensure that the loyalties of the port workers are in the right place!):D

4. Thunderhead19

Thunderhead19 Senior Member

I'm not an arab. But if I was, I'd be in your living room by now.

As for the turning over of US port infrastructure to Arab interests, it doesn't surprise me. Arab interests own about 15% of the entire US debt. This is a serious bit of leverage. They basically get what they want, when they want. The US COULD just offhandedly tell them that they'll never see their money again (like they did to low profile, unobtrusive Canada..they owe us billions $#*@!!! ), but who would dare lend them money ever again (other than Canada). And if you think that the Arabs are anti-american now......oooooowwweee!!

5. kach22i

kach22i Architect

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0108074.html
    http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/United_Arab_Emirates
    http://www.cooperativeresearch.org/entity.jsp?id=1521846767-531

6. kach22i

kach22i Architect

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nypost/20060214/cm_nypost/portinsecurity

7. Sander Rave

Sander Rave Senior Member

I don't understand the disturbed calls here, the US governement makes huge debts and these should be financed one way or the other... If they keep spendin' in the Greenspans way, sooner or later the US wil be owned by the highest bidder.
    I don't like to make jokes of it, but this could be ANYone.

8. safewalrus

Thunderhead, your right your not, and you wouldn't be!

You are, by your own admittance, a Canadian, and contary to my knowledge would appear not to be much use for anything - including getting into peoples living rooms - in fact you probably wouldn't be able to find it! I'm surprised you canfind your own under all that snow 9of course you ain't got much snow at the moment have you/ ostensibly due top global warming but probably due to the fact some Yank has pinched it!

9. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

It takes a while, either for the news to spread or for the masses to get to the deal making polititions ,,,, but according to the news ,,,,,the **** has HIT THE FAN!!!!!!

10. safewalrus

Oh! why does this not surprise me? unfortunately shrub abd his boys will bribe a few more and dump on America in general and slide away quietly (make aphone call to his mate sammy about how much he's made on the deal - no doubt as it was a Brit Firm good old Poodle Tony will be there smiling sweetly and counting his backhander to keep quiet)

11. kach22i

kach22i Architect

On this topic, in another board far far away.

Cookie12 said:
    http://boards.charlierose.com/board/topic.asp?ti=16314
    This story may have sea legs yet.:cool:

12. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

What the hell VP gets a $7 fine for shooting someone.

13. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Update:

W aides' biz ties to Arab firm
    http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/393375p-333478c.html
    ...........and 27 minutes ago.

GOP Governors, Lawmakers Oppose Port Deal
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060221...9rNXeWs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3ODdxdHBhBHNlYwM5NjQ-

14. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Update:

Bush Shrugs Off Objections to Port Deal
    By TED BRIDIS, Associated Press Writer
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060222.../ports_security

..................................UAE was an important transfer point for shipments of smuggled nuclear components sent to
    Iran, North Korea and Libya by a Pakistani scientist.

Sleep on that America.;)

15. longliner45

longliner45 Senior Member

well, well, well,aparantly some folks in the house of reprsentatives have grown some nads, maybe we are seeing the light!maybe ,just maybe we are getting back on track. kinda gives me some hope ,,,,,,,,the tide is starting to turnnnnnnnnnnn

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.