Burned out topsides and cockpit gone

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by zembekiko, Sep 10, 2011.

1. zembekiko

zembekiko Junior Member

Well.....All of the distinguished gentlemen here might question the wisdom of buying a boat over the internet sight unseen, and rightfully so, but my thinking is and was that the purchase price justified the action. I've been a boat guy since 1980, albeit the wooden varieties, and have picked up this boat at scrap value. Have a USCG bill of sale it being a documented vessel, and push come to shove, could take a chainsaw to it. It would be a crying shame thing to do given the pedigree that this boat has.
    My original intent was to build new here, in S.E. Asia, using locally produced wood and cheap labor, but virtually everything else would have to be imported. Fiscally absurd. The price of West System epoxy and the like is high enough without doubling it because of import taxes and shipping. The boat located in florida is a bit smaller than I wanted but a worthwile project should the numbers add up.
    I certainly agree that someone needs to look at the boat since i Can't be there at the moment. One thing that might prove to be fortunate, i requested photos and videos of the brokers. It seems that the opening ports in the way of the fire are not distorted or melted which with luck, might indicate minimal damage to the glass fibre laminate. Unless they were made of metal or something more heat resistant. Have to wait and see.
    PAR, ( if I take your meaning correctly) Lots of ex-G.I.'s return after a long abscence and find in general, no animosity towards Americans. For many, it's a healing process and a catharsis. The Viets have their country back and are doing quite well. You have a permanent invite. Zem.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.