Burned out topsides and cockpit gone

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by zembekiko, Sep 10, 2011.

1. zembekiko

zembekiko Junior Member

Just bought a 43 foot sloop built by a world class builder. The boat is 1976 and was next to a boat which burned to the ground. The fire spread to the cockpit and part of the aft deck. There is some damage to the port side gelcoat measuring about seven feet long by two feet wide at the sheer. The cockpit and main bulkhead will have to be completely rebuilt. The boat has a racing type cabin, low and swept which continues aft forming the cockpit coaming, which as to be replaced along with the cockpit.
    I'm not sure how much damage has been done to the fibreglass inside the cockpit and at the sheer, before I bought the boat the yard sanded away all burn marks and painted the inside white. My plan is to strengthen the inside of the hull with glass before closing up with the cockpit construction just in case I need to do extensive work on the outside-at least I will have some backing and it's easier to do it first. Should I add frames inside for strength? Should I use wood or foam for this inside work?
    Also, I will have to form the coaming from the main bulkhead back. It wraps around the back of the cockpit. Again, Foam (my first choice) or wood? Epoxy? Vynalester? Poly?
    Just to alay any fears about my sanity, this is a six figure boat bought for $6000. Any advice would help as I am primarily a wood boat guy. Thanks.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

No, adding to a bad laminate is a waste of time and money. You need to get someone with knowledge of fiberglass to inspect the boat. What the yard did was hide the damage to screw over some unsuspecting buyer.

3. zembekiko

zembekiko Junior Member

No, not adding to a bad laminate....just insuring against the event that I need to rip out the section and replace the laminate should that be the case. Unsuspecting buyer? Had that figured into the price. The mast alone is worth...........Thanks for your insight.

4. FMS

FMS Senior Member

The concern is has all the heat damaged laminate been removed or has some been painted over already? If so, how large an area of damaged laminate might remain? The heat damaged laminate may be prone to cracking and failure now.

5. FMS

FMS Senior Member

Can you get a set of plans for how the boat was originally designed?
    Wood is not a bad material. The problem comes when it is poorly done and water gets to it and rots it. Good work and it will last decades.I prefer epoxy for the strongest cold bond and bonding to wood and other materials.

If you search you will find other threads on fire damaged fiberglass repair.

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fi...ding/fire-damaged-gel-coat-tragedy-38969.html

http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/fi...rglass-fire-damage-fiberglass-boat-11212.html

The problem with getting advice online is no 2 fires are exactly alike. If you could find a local fg expert to do some testing of what's there it would be best.

6. zembekiko

zembekiko Junior Member

Yeah, West System is my ole standby. I don't think that the fire damage to the portside is going to be that much of a problem, my concern is the damage to the inside. The fire burned from the outside cockpit down. The teak decks outside the coaming are still intact. The bunks below are still with good wood, so I'm hoping that with some luck, I wont have to rebuild the whole *** end. The boat was designed by S&S and built by a builder in Finland, prefer not to name names, but even if I had to scrap the vessel, (not the original plan) I couldnt lose.
    I thought for the form I'd use a closed cell foam sculpted to the coaming design. Closed cell foam with epoxy?

7. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Closed cell foam is appropriate. You should have little trouble getting the plans and/or a laminate schedule for your boat from S&S. I will double the comment about having the boat surveyed by a qualified inspector.

8. zembekiko

zembekiko Junior Member

Might get a few quotes from thems thats in da business. Free advice as it were. Thanks much, will keep you informed.

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You are aware of the problem and willing to find a good solution. That is a wise attitude. Ideally someone should inspect the damage. We are giving advice based on your description and experience with other jobs.

10. PAR

I'll likely be inspecting the boat in a few months Gonzo.

11. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Are you going to Vietnam?

12. PAR

Never again, but the boat is a few hours from me . . .

13. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It makes it confusing when the poster gives a location that is not correct. Answers are usually specific to geographical areas.

14. FMS

FMS Senior Member

If he is in vietnam and the boat is here then all the more important that someone trustworthy will be giving it a first hand look before any money is spent starting to rebuild.

15. PAR

I don't want to talk for the original poster and have refrained, but don't you think it would be possible for someone to own a boat in one country and be in another when making a post here? He will return to the US in the near future at which point . . .

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.