Buoyancy foam - what are the options?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by RSD, Jan 3, 2023.

1. RSD

RSD Junior Member

My knowledge on foams for boats is very limited - all I know is that some foams are suitable but some aren't as they absorb water or induce electrolysis in aluminium boats. Are there any spray expanding foams that are suitable? Ideally ones with good insulation values too!

2. dustman

dustman Senior Member

3. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Trapped corrosive water is very bad for aluminum.

If you are still considering a catamaran; the better way to go is watertight compartments with waterproof venting. Foam can also be used for buoyancy, but one must respect the problems of getting saltwater between foam and hull/framing. This can be managed, at least in smaller vessels, by putting foam in places seawater is unlikely to get to...like underseats or in compartments not directly laying foam on hull.

Other forum members and professionals have much better knowledge than me, I only know some basics. Aluminum yachts are being made around the world, so someone here will answer better than me.

4. Rumars

Rumars Senior Member

You need what is called a closed cell foam. There are several types available, polystyrene, polyurethane, polyethylene, rubber. Only PU is sprayable, the rest come as rigid or flexible sheets.
    There are several threads here detailing metal boat insulation. For buoyancy only, a few blocks of PS foam strapped to the hull are enough.

5. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

Brainstorming here, or possibly brain farts!
    Sometimes I get parts shipped in that are in a plastic lined cardboard box with foam blown in to secure/protect the parts.
    This has got me thinking about blowing foam into boat compartments using a plastic bag inside said compartments to isolate it from adhering to the interior. There are corrugated plastic drainage membranes that could be installed against hull surfaces to facilitate some breathing and drainage of condensate.
    Thoughts?

Will Gilmore likes this.
  6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Done all the time in monocoque builds..guys use 4-6 mill plastic. They still limber the boat, sometimes even a bilge pump or just an inspection well.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
    ondarvr likes this.
  7. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

Yes, the bagged or wrapped foam has many benefits.

fallguy likes this.
  8. Ike

Ike Senior Member

If you bag the foam you can use almost any type of closed cell foam, preferably 2 lb density (that is one cubic foot of foam weighs two pounds). Bagging keeps the water out so, no problem with water absorption. Also it keeps corrosive fluids, gasoline, bilge cleaners, oils, etc away from the foam. However, if you pick polystyrene, do not use styrofoam. It does not stand up well to shock ad vibration and breaks down into little pieces. There are other polystyrene foams that are mostly used for insulation, that make excellent flotation foam. But if you want two part foams, they are usually polyurethane. As mentioned above, lots of choices.

9. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

2nd to no expanded foam (beaded foams)

it will absorb water

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
    Barry likes this.
  10. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

For an "after" analysis of expanded foam in aluminium, try this video at about 12:50

I've found expanded foam is very heavy.
    One fall-back option is Pool Noodles.

VinTin likes this.
  11. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

One of my vendors did some testing on closed cell marine buoyancy foam and what he tested is actually not as waterproof as the industry lets on. If the applicator is able to finish it with epoxy or bag it; it is best.

12. tane

tane Senior Member

"...However, if you pick polystyrene, do not use styrofoam...."
    please elaborate which polysterene foams are ok?

13. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

He means to not use expanded polystyrene (beaded foams). The word choice is problematic because many of us grew up thinking all beaded foam was styrofoam, but afaik modern styrofoam is extruded.

Beaded or expanded foams have intercellular spaces that will allow ingress and overtime water enters beaded foams and becomes trapped forever.

Will Gilmore likes this.
  14. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

15. Andrew Kirk

Andrew Kirk Pedal boater.

What about PIR foam? Polyisocyanurate is available in sheets of various thicknesses from 10 mm to 200 mm. It is closed cell and claims to be totally water resistant. It is widely used fir home insulation. Does anyone have any experience or further knowledge?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.