Quattro 16 in 2020

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by gbuild, Apr 1, 2020.

1. gbuild

gbuild New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm talking here about a self built catamaran.
    Is the quattro 16 an outdatted design in 2020?
    Is there another beachcat of similar length that you would suggest instead?

I'm simply having a look at different self build options.

Thanks for your time!

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

I emailed the designer and he will probably want to know what you are looking for exactly in a cat; so feel free to post more details about your wishes. Richard is a straight shooter.

3. JimMath

JimMath Junior Member

Quatro 16 is as modern a design as any ply beach cat design , I have the plans , nice lines , smart designer who sailed the Q16 & built it .

4. gbuild

gbuild New Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I'm only asking because I saw a thread where someone was saying the design was outdated and I simply wasn't sure where such a comment stemmed from.
    What I'm looking for is simply a light catamaran that is quick/fun in any breeze that can be sailed by two adults. Ease of build is of course a plus. The quattro 16 seems to fit the bill.
    I had considered a Hitia 17, but it doesn't seem as responsive or "fun" if that makes sense. What are your thoughts?
    Also, one of my concerns with the Quattro 16 is where to get the rigging, mast, sails etc... I'm based in Malta in the Med if that helps.

5. JimMath

JimMath Junior Member

One is a racing Cat , if you rig it that way , and has 4mm ply if you can access that, used beach cat rig will do fine .
    Other ,more cruising Cat , imagine 6mm ply , should be responsive and fast if you have wind , mast can be made of wood ,wing sail etc .

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Richard has time. Email him. He will not steer you wrong. He will even compare his models against each other.

7. ziper1221

ziper1221 Junior Member

If you don't mind not having boards, it looks fine to me. I think you would be able to find an old beachcat with soft hulls around, just chainsaw the hulls and keep the rest. You should probably do that before you build to hulls so that you can make sure to build it to fit the cross beams.

If you were looking for a more difficult build using tortured ply, you could build a (scaled down) tornado. Construction Methods - Tortured Plywood https://smalltridesign.com/Trimaran-Articles/Construction-Methods/Tortured-Plywood-Hulls.html

8. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

seems we have an annual parade of guys who buy hobie hulls that are falling apart and heavy

go with a ply build

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.