Bummed

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Sean Herron, May 30, 2009.

1. Sean Herron

Sean Herron Senior Member

Hello...

I just learned that Bolger has 'crossed the river' - I am bummed out...

Well I guess I will just have a drink then...

With 537 finished designs to his credit and an uncountable number of studies...

I did not know that he took himself out with his own .45 - that is troublesome to me - but it remains the personal decision of the man - and same is not for our judgement...

His work - his legacy - his thoughts - which he offered up for free review - is all that we have rights to - his mind and his life - was his own...

SH.

2. clodgo

clodgo Senior Member

I'll have one with you. He's been an inspiration to so many, myself included.

My first boat was a Tortoise Punt.

Attached Files:

3. Sean Herron

Bolger...

Hello...

I used to go to the public library and sign out his books and sit down at one of their great big mahogany tables - alone - and just pore about his designs and thoughts - mainly because I did not want to go home...

I also read Bucky Fullers books - and Meiss Van De Rohe - Uffa Fox - Gary Mull - Santiago Calatrava - Bolger was at that level - as far as my young mind was concerned...

Just walked some abandoned CNR tracks - had a cigarette - sat down and watched all the yuppies walk about with their cell phones...

What a dignified loss for all of us...

SH.

4. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

I think my dreams are being replaced with regrets. I wish we had a library and I did'nt have to go home. Trouble is both libraries and bars shut sooner or later.

And thats the bummer. Sean did you know you have 2 Bummers?

5. Sean Herron

Attached Files:

6. masalai

masalai masalai

Frosty, it is time to trade things in and set some sails - Go chase that dream or invent another lesser dream - just for the heck of it and the challenge - I hope to be out there by April 2010 - will you and Sean be also out there somewhere on the oceans of uncertainty? - Come on Boston, Fanie, Manie and others commune with the seas...

7. Sean Herron

Full Spelling...

Hello...
    God Damn it all - I am really bummed out...
    Phil Bolgers death just might make me sober and quit smoking - NAH...:)
    Re inspire me to just get on with it all - ABSOLUTELY...
    I cannot believe that he took his own life - but I DO RESPECT SAME...
    I can only hope to leave something of the legacy that he left when I decide the game is done and won - too...
    He was an absolute master of simplicity - shut the **** up and just get it done - get on the water and live a little - who the **** cares what she looks like - you ain't on the beach looking at it...
    I remember an old WoodenBoat photo of him sitting and reclining against the inner hull of his live aboard - great stuff...
    A grand master...
    SH.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

The last person to survive the Titanic disaster has just died.

I don't know why this bums me out more than other deaths it just does???

What is it about that night that leaves cold shivers in everyone.

Its just a ship that sunk??

9. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

It's taken me a week to get my thoughts organized on the passing of Phil Bolger.

Phil was determined to make shockingly honest statements in much of what he did. Like any of us he was a complex person.....a mix of private and public persona's.... which none of us can understand from the outside.

I find solace in the idea that taking his own life was (partially) a political statement about freedom. Obviously it was much more than that.

I also firmly believe in allowing the work to stand on it's own merit....I have 6 books by Phil, they reside among the very few that are constantly referenced. These books taught me (and continue to instruct) about sound design based on user requirements.....for this work (and that yet to be published) I am grateful.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.