Mixing epoxy by weight made easy?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by TeddyDiver, Aug 5, 2017.

1. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

So far I've been using West epoxies with pumps which has been a treat to measure right amounts of resin and hardener, never any issues and very tidy thing to do. Had a drum of it and filled to 30l and 5l canisters (about 6 and 1 gallons) with pumps..

However now got Gurit Ampreg21 and going to mix it with a scale. The containers are too bulky to pour directly to mixing container and after watching some "tutorial" videos on the Youtube saw it wasn't very neat from smaller containers either, just a terrible mess mostly except on those filmed in studio or lab environment.

So how are you pouring your resin on the scale and how you think it works?

My present idea is to use outboard motor fuel hose with rubber pump to get the right amount of resin and hardener to the mixing container on a scale. I'm confident it will work great but dunno how the the rubber and plastics within the hose and pump tolerate especially the hardener. Anyway interested to hear how you are doing it..

BR Teddy

2. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Well, I'm familiar with that but it doesn't work so well with sticky stuff like resin. Tested my idea today without loosing a single drop. Resin was a bit slow to pump in 18C but worked, might cut the hose shorter to reduce resistance.

4. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

Actually works great, give it a bit of time and you will see how gunned up the pump becomes, the whole point of the roll system is to avoid that situation

5. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Pure your bulk goo into containers that can have a cap installed and be left on their side. I use 1 gallon jugs, with the mouth off to one side. The ones I use are essentially square, so lay on their side just fine. You can fit the cap with a barbed fitting or just buy caps with them already installed. Attach a hose to the fitting and a tubing clamp, right at the end of the line.
    [​IMG]
    Mine are placed on a shelf above the epoxy mixing area, so I can reach up, dispense some goo, "to the line" or while placed on a scale. You can buy jugs like this at lab supply shops and also veterinary supply outfits.

6. jorgepease

jorgepease Senior Member

I guess it all depends on how much you are mixing, I was mixing larger quantities for infusion ... 600 oz minimum. Gurit makes their pails with the roll pour spout, it's the cleanest system I found. I also went the pump route when I first started weighing things out, quickly found out it took too long and drips everywhere as the hose drains.

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Like PAR's method but couldn't find barbed caps (small village with one generall store) . Hand layup mixing quantities between 100 to 300g..

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

You can buy jugs with closing spout caps installed. Mail order can get you just about anything.
    [​IMG]
    This can be installed in any plastic container or cap.

9. Tungsten

Tungsten Senior Member

I just use my old ketchup containers,pour spout with a snap lid.Any squeeze bottle will work
    When pouring from gallon jugs to the squeeze bottles i heat up the goo so it pours nicer.