Bulkhead Replacement Questions for a Cabo Rico 34

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by jkenan, Jan 10, 2020.

1. jkenan

jkenan New Member

Greetings! I recently purchased a neglected Cabo Rico 34 displacing 18K Lbs, which required gutting of bulkheads and cabinets due to water damage. What would be the two best options for new BH material for a boat such as this? Original BH's were 3/4" teak veneered marine plywood, installed as a single piece for each install, but also looking at at reducing risk of future rot, and perhaps improving strength (not that that was ever a problem for the CR's). For the rebuild however, I believe the larger BH's (main and forward cabin, which are both glued to aft and fore wall of the molded head/shower insert, and therefore those walls enclosing the head will need to be cut out with the bulkhead) will need to be installed in sections due to space constraints (which that did not exist when the boat was being constructed), and then glassed together due to their size. Also figuring that after cutting away the fore and aft walls of the head/shower insert, the new bulkheads can have a couple layers of glass applied to the backside walls (enclosing head/shower) and and then faired back into that insert. Also planning to use +/- 45-degree biaxial tape for the tabbing. Any knowledgeable guidance on materials, tabbing (including number of layers of tabbing), and overall approach to this job would be appreciated. Boat is mostly gutted at this point, with a couple more BH's to remove, and existing tabbing ground out. Then the reconstruction can begin.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum JK.

It sounds like you have a major re-build on your hands here - are you going to gut her totally, or will you be able to still leave some bits inside?
    If you have some photos of her, inside and out, please do post them - everybody on here loves photos of re-fit work.
    And this thread could develop into a Blog showing the progress of your re-fit.

Re new bulkheads, you could make them out of marine plywood, or you could make up foam (or Nida-core) sandwich fibreglass panels and use these instead. Or even make up very fancy vacuum bagged panels, but that is really only worth it if weight is critical, and it sounds like you have lots of buoyancy available at your disposal.

3. jkenan

jkenan New Member

Thanks for the feedback - hadn't considered foam bulkheads. Yes, it is a major project, but I knew that going in, and have done a major refit before with an Ericson 29. I think there are a few panels I can save - and will help stabilize the cabin top as all other bulkheads are removed. These are the doorway openings to the head, v-berth, and aft cabin, which have some ply, but also lots of solid wood which did not rot. Also some above-settee/galley minor BH's that were not immersed will stay. For some reason, the ply in the doorway panels that were immersed don't seem rotted with the 'probe' test (basically pushing a pick into the wood to see how soft it is), but all the primary athwartship/structural BH's rotted significantly and must be replaced. Not sure how structural the doorway openings are, but certainly provide some rigidity to the boat. Most of the boat will be gutted, and have already completed the better part of it - plumbing, electrical, mechanical, appliances, etc. I will upload some photos when I have time to pull them together (along with video I've made - yes, thinking about the vlog/blog), along with a build schematic. I feel confident doing this, and have some in-depth experience with all of this. Some big decisions to make, and before I spend the $$ wanted to vet it with the experts. Thanks again!!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    bajansailor likes this.

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Excellent!
    That is the most important thing, having a pretty good idea re what you are letting yourself in for - so many folk approach re-fits very naively, and get discouraged quickly when they find it will take twice as long and cost three times what they initially estimated.
    Please do post some photos (and even a video, wow) when you have time, and you can be sure to get a most enthusiastic response on here.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.