Bulkhead replacement and safety on stands?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Robert45, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Robert45

Robert45 Junior Member

I was wondering if anyone has had experience replacing major bulkheads on the hard? I am refitting/restoring a 1972 Alberg 30 and am just about to start tearing (I mean gently easing) out the bulkheads from bow to stern (bottoms have all rotted to some degree) and it occured to me that removal might destabilize the boat as it sits on its stands. Any experiences, thoughts, or advice from folks would be greatly appriciated. Thanks so much:)

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Use many stands so the hull does not deform. If the structure is so rotted, you may need to straighten the hull before installing new bulkheads and stringers. It takes some time and patience, but it is not too difficult.

3. Robert45

Robert45 Junior Member

Thanks Gonzo! Yikes on the hull straitening - sounds scary, but then so does the term "bulkhead resplacement". What does that even look in terms method?

4. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

5. Robert45

Robert45 Junior Member

Oh, Cool! Awesome resource. Thanks very much for this. I will do a search for his posts and see what comes up.

bajansailor likes this.
  6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Well, the stands cannot support the boat if they are on rot.

And a stand placed under a bulkhead and the Bulkhead then removed can result in a failure.

So be careful is all.

7. Robert45

Robert45 Junior Member

Thanks fallguy. So glad I reached out to the community. I am going to do more research on how to accomplish this safely. Double stands, and perhaps replace one bulkhead at a time for a start. Thanks again!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.