Bulbous bow design

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tjrrong, Aug 2, 2004.

1. tjrrong

tjrrong New Member

i am undergraduate of university technology of malaysia and now taking thesis title " application bulbous bow for malaysian fishing vessel" .i have to design bulbous bow and attach on the purse seiner fishing vessel.

if any members here have any knowledge and experience of the methodolgy bulbous bow design.

Pls share vif me.

thanks

2. dereksireci

dereksireci Senior Member

Sname Papers

These publications and more are for sale on the Sname web site:

A Bulbous Bow Design Methodology for High-Speed Ships
    Authors: Hoyle, Cheng, Hays, Johnson, Nehring
    Subject: High Speed Craft, Bulbous Bows
    TR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Simple Design Theory and Method for Bulbous Bows of Ships
    Authors: Yim
    Subject: Resistance, Residual, Hull Form, Bulbous Bows
    JSR September 1974

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A Theoretical Contribution to the Wave-Resistance Problem of Ship-Bulb Combinations: Verification of the Negativeness of the Interaction Term
    Authors: Kracht
    Subject: Bulbous Bows
    JSR March 1970

Application of Large Protruding Bulbs to Ships of High Block Coefficient
    Authors: Couch, Moss
    Subject: Resistance, Residual, Bulbous Bows
    TR

Bow Bulbs for Slow, Full-Form Ships (Translation)
    Authors: SNAME
    Subject: Bulbous Bows
    T&R No. 1-33

Cavitation Inception Observations on Axisymmetric Bodies at Supercritical Reynolds Numbers
    Authors: Arakeri, Acosta
    Subject: Submersibles, Theory, Cavitation, Bulbous Bows
    JSR March 1976

Comparison of Ship-Motion Theory and Experiment for Destroyer with Large Bulb
    Authors: Smith, Salvesen
    Subject: Ship Motions, Theory, Seakeeping, Bulbous Bows
    JSR March 1970

Design of Bulbous Bows
    Authors: Kracht
    Subject: Hull Form, Bulbous Bows
    TR

From Bulbous Bow to Free-Surface Shock Wave--Trends of 20 Years' Research on Ship Waves at the Tokyo University Tank
    Authors: Inui
    Subject: Waves, Resistance, Residual, Bulbous Bows
    JSR September 1981

Prediction of the Behavior and Propulsive Performance of Ships with Bulbous Bows in Waves
    Authors: Blume, Kracht
    Subject: Waves, Performance, Bulbous Bows
    TR

3. yipster

yipster designer

19.65*ABT/Cb may be added to any WSA formula, but whats the reduction in wave resistance?
    and offcourse there is much more to such bows

4. CDBarry

CDBarry Senior Member

There was some work done on this and a paper (in SNAME MT) on bulb bows on fishing boats by the people at Univ BC as part of a larger project. You should be able to find it at www.sname.org.

5. Aaminul

Aaminul Guest

Student, BUET, Bangladesh

Dear friend, I am an undergraduate student doing thesis on bulbous bow.let us share ourselves. If u have any paper and theory on bulbous bow share it with me. My address is as follows:
    uttal2000@yahoo.com

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.