Modify a Kirby 25 for offshore

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by island_life73, Aug 22, 2011.

1. island_life73

island_life73 New Member

Hi All,

I have been sailing my Kirby '25 in the pacific's Juan De Fuca for a few years now. She is strong, fast and nimble... I have dreams of pulling her out and modifying her for offshore sailing. No doubt a fair amount of strengthening and stay relocations to be done but am sure she could make a circumnav. Any thoughts?

2. GTO

GTO Senior Member

Well, I really don't think anyone would recommend it, but research Dave and Jaja Martin.

Dave started out on a 20 something boat he modified/reinforced for world travel.

Here is one link:

http://www.workingwaterfront.com/articles/A-Sailing-Family-Takes-to-Dry-Land/10253/

And an excerpt from it:

"The couple met in February, 1988, in the Virgin Islands, after Dave sailed there on the boat he built and met Jaja, a sailing instructor. They were married the next year in Barbados. At first, they sailed their 25-foot sloop DIRECTION around the world, using only celestial navigation. Now they use GPS, but Dave says something is lost in trading math skills for the no-brainer pushbutton method of navigating. "

I've read one article where he describes getting his first boat, stripping the interior to bare hull and rebuilding it.