Building a casting deck on a 16foot fiberglass boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by JChan, Sep 17, 2009.

1. JChan

JChan New Member

Hi every,

Nice to meet you all. I am new to this forum. I just bought a 16 foot fiberglass boat for fishing. I wanna build a casting deck on it...like one of those bass boats....I am just wondering if i can just use some sort of glue..like super glue, or contact cement to bind the plywood on the front of the boat. I don't really want to drill holes on fiberglass....because it might crack...unless i have to....Any suggestions???

thanks,
    Jackie

Attached Files:

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

For bonding (ply)wood to polyester, grind down the gelcoat of the polyester, and glue with epoxy glue.

Before you glue the wood to the polyester, coat it several times with epoxy resin, then paint with 2K PU paint. Leave the spots where you will apply glue clean of paint. (you can clean up the glue after the glueing operation, then sand things smooth, and paint the glue joint afterwards)

3. JChan

JChan New Member

Thanks Herman!!!