Building the houseboat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by dskira, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

PAR,

"Heading" the screws is certainly a bad practice for construction work, but also a nicety when the screws are used to hold panels like electrical etc that expose the screw head to the public view. Aligning the screw heads in these circumstances is a "good" idea, as visually it is very "bristol" like to do so.

2. Boston

Boston Previous Member

from a structural point of view its a terrible idea, aesthetically its only marginally beneficial and only that if there is no structural consideration. I do it when I have a nut and bold situation and I want all the bolt heads to line up, but when screwing into wood its a terrible idea

"setting" the screw before driving is also not recommended and tends to bend the screw or otherwise damage an already brittle piece of metal.

oh well my two cents

B

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Agreed.

4. hoytedow

Also agreed.

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

The screw are manufactured her in the States by Maze. They are designed to be self drilling in Fir and other soft wood, like pine.
    Maze is a very good and only manufacturer left in the US doing double dip hot galvanized. They are used widely, for the very good design and the quality of the zinc coating.

Boston, cost.
    I have the stack of bills of what I bought for the boat. They just are in a folder right now, I will make several folder by product. You gave me a good idea.
    I have different soup: the mixture with pine tar, the coal tar, and the paint itself with the primer.
    The more easy to answer right now since I just just bought it and receive it is the 6 gallons of coal tar for a total of $390
    The pine tar soup will be $100
    The paint is the least expensive it is $25 a gallon
    The antifouling is $65 a gallon

I will answer for the rest as soon my folders are done.

I don't know how it compare to a wood epoxy, or plywood epoxy, but anyway these methods will be impossible to built outside here in Maine.

I have a lot of tools from Harbor Freight, and other brand and I am not kind with them, but the only one that gave me hard time and has to be repair is the Makita's. Go figure!!

Yes I still have to sand the bottom, one side is done.

Daniel

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Meanwhile when the weather is rainy I work inside the shop.
    I am manufacturing the cowl vents, one intake for the bilge, two exhaust for the same bilge, one for the waste water, one for the galley.
    all came with their own waterbox.
    This is the plan I draw for them, and right now two are in painting process. I can make some picture by the end of the week.
    I try to manufacture a lot by myself, it is part of the process.
    Daniel

[​IMG]

7. hoytedow

You are a Renaissance man.

8. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

good stuff

1 person likes this.
  9. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

It's nice to see you include the grain Daniel, I usually do. With most software it's just a screen or pattern fill, but this doesn't tell you much about the grain orientation or the type of stock. In other words, the new kids on the block have to spec out "grain long" on a piece being cut from a plywood panel (as an example), while someone looking at one of our old timers drawings, would instantly recognize that it's grain long. Better yet, not only is this particular piece grain long, but it butts up against a quarter sawn piece.

10. ancient kayaker

ancient kayaker aka Terry Haines

- there's a lot of renaissance men in these parts! Technology has moved us away from the artistic aspects of the craft, perhaps.

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Thank you all.
    this is the hull ready to have the first coat of coal tar.
    As tonight the hull is already coated. Tomorrow and the following days more coat (six in total)
    I have a great window of good weather, nice and 50F. no wind. No time to waste. Tuesday we are coming down to the 30F. It is a race against the elements.
    Some picture of the lady in black is coming.
    Daniel

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. hoytedow

Excellent!

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

What holds you back? The PC?

Good luck with the weather!!

14. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This is the schedule:
    One side of the boat is in full sun, i can't paint it until 3pm (I tried the coal tar bubbled) , at that time the temperature start going down, so I can do only one coat.
    The other side is on the shade, the warmest moment is noon, so i can coat at noon, but will be not dry for a second coat. Any way either side can't be re coated, due to the temperature. I have to wait overnight and start again.
    Doing a coat a day I will need six day, including this one by Tuesday night it must be done. the last coat will be dealt under not so perfect condition, but two monstrous kerosene heater will come to the help from a nice neighbour

OK its a lot of excuse to have free time, so I can spend a lot of time on the PC ;)

Daniel

15. welder/fitter

welder/fitter Senior Member

Daniel,
    I've been thoroughly enjoying watching your progress on photobucket! I have a question concerning these cowl vents; Is there a reason that the ends of each pipe extend past the end of the other?

I made a few dorade vents (steel) for my boats in The Philippines, but didn't bring the tube to interior above the surface, resulting in much moisture entering interior, of course. Learned the hard way; had to cut them open & add a ring to extend interior pipe above surface.

But, with the ends extending past each other, will there be enough airflow?
    signed,
    curious Mike:?::)