Building the houseboat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by dskira, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

It sure does.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Love to watch the progress. This is a great information thread for how much work and care it is to build using traditional methods. I applaud Daniel for his wonderfull creative and knowledgeable building techniques, but after seeing how much work is going into this boat, I certainly couldnt follow his example.

From a purely practical point of view, (and please dont take this as personal criticism, boats are so much more than raw pragmatism) this is essentially only a 20ft boat, and there is so much material (20mm side planks ) and largely unusable space ( the bilges look almost a foot deep, with very limited access) compared to say your traditional 'stitch and glue' methods. My feeling is that it is built to withstand much heavier weather than you would ever want take a flat bottomed, slab sided 20ft boat out in. I would worry that in heavy weather a 15hp motor wouldnt be nearly enough to head for shelter against 20 knots of wind especially, with all that weight.

It certainly is built to last 50 years, but like Daniel, I wont see out the first half of that lifespan, so I personally wouldnt put all that effort and material into a boat.

Despite any practical, personal critique of the boat itself, this thread ought to be in a Forum of its own called 'Treasures of Traditional Knowledge', and titled 'Classic Example of Ingenuity and Craftsmanship'. Its the sort of project that will inform and delight people for years to come.

If Daniels kids cant use the boat, I bet it would be a major drawcard at some kind of maritime display. Well done Daniel, its a great bit of work.

3. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

The design and layout are not intrinsically tied to the traditional materials and building methods Daniel is using; this is just the particular boat he decided to build utilizing them. I've no doubt whatsoever he could have used traditional materials and methods to create a lightweight boat with easily accessible bilges instead, if that's what he had set out to do.

I've done the same thing on storage sheds, enclosed porches and carports: over-built them like I was building a house during my days as a contractor -- partly because it's the way I'm used to building, and partly just for the pure pleasure of giving my knowledge and skills a workout, even if only on a small scale.

I totally agree with you that the thread is a treasure, and the boat a great bit of work, and I understand you meant no disrespect with your comments. Nor do I mean any to you; I'm just commenting on your comments....:)

4. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Thanks for the comments there Troy, and I am glad you picked up my admiration for the exercise - I really didnt want to get misunderstood, which can be easy with the written word.

I think my comments were more in keeping with the Spray thread, about the merits of the 'traditional' methods. If you can get large quality timbers, you can certainly build a much more seakindly hull and accessable hull - from Portugeuse Caravelle through to the Clipper Ships of more recent times.

However, the luxury of utilising large quality timbers in a traditional manner is long gone, so one has to use innovative techniques with the shorter and smaller dimensoned timber available these days, especially if you dont want to spend a fortune in time and materials. ( laminating beams and planks, epoxy and the like)

Daniel has certainly provided a great insight into how this should be done.

5. apex1

apex1 Guest

These statements are wrong watson.

Neither do we have a lack of quality timber, nor must one spend a fortune for a wood epoxy building. Having to cope with both questions in my business I can tell you for sure.

But I don´t want to move this thread into a timber or wood epoxy debate (the latter you don´t grasp anyway), it is a precious thread and should remain so.

Regards
    Richard

6. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Rest assured I don't take any critics personally.
    The space you see on the bilge is because the deck is watertight and self bailing. Four watertight inspection hatches will cut on the deck. Safety was paramount in this design.
    The upper deck goes to the side of the boat, giving a protected passage on the side deck. It is like a mini Trumpy.
    the house in positioned on top of the deck, so if a window broke the boat stay safe.
    You right at 66 years old this year, it will be my coffin.
    The total hours until now with the planking done is 620 hours.
    Due to my injuries I can't work full time and I am on oxycodone every night. (I think Masalai will relate to that) I started in April, and it will be launched by April 2011.
    My son now is living, he helped me and worked 70 hours. It was great.
    Daniel

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This is my number 11 post so the newcomer will understand my philosophy behind the building of the houseboat.

This philosophy is mine, it is not the one for everyone, but I don't care.
    In this trade since you don't make money "per se" the only think left is the freedom. And I cherish it more than money.
    I intend to use my houseboat with my wife, the inside will be decorated with the exquisite quilts she made, and a a galley for her to make these delicious dessert. It is a loveboat, being myself a diehard romantic.

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This one of my wife's quilt

[​IMG]

And if you don't have them you can't built a boat, right Richard ;)

[​IMG]

9. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I would look silly wearing only a quilt and white socks

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

No you will be a Scottish :p

11. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Wardd [​IMG] was there you know ;)

And please Daniel, send the guy a sock, he only has one...

Cheers,
    Angel

12. wardd

wardd Senior Member

they wouldn't let me leave the airfield

something about only wearing one sock, seems the scots wear two

13. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Yes they always make sure to wear two socks . . :D

But please lets end this Scottish aside now and go back to the Houseboat..!!

So over to Daniel and the serious followers of this thread :)

Good Luck!
    Angel

14. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Thank you Angel for asking the thread to get back on track.
    I apreciate.
    Daniel

15. wardd

wardd Senior Member

I'd like a scantlings list and a list of hardware used