Building the houseboat

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by dskira, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Here I am building the keel of the house boat.
    She will be built outside. The goop in between the timbers is DeWitts neoprene sealant, not affected by the weather, shine ot rain, or snow.
    The 1/2" bolts are all hot dipped galvanized. The timber is hard pine 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Blizzard season seems to be over.................

Keep us updated Daniel.

3. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I hope it goes well for you with smooth cruising later.

4. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Thank you, I apreciate your good words.
    Well I have to beat the blizzard season, its comming back in December, so I have to go fast if I don't want to looks like building a snowman!! :D
    Fortunatly I design her to be built easely.
    Daniel

5. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

You might be an optimist, if you think it won't come back until December....

Good luck with the build. It's nice to see someone piling into a project they enjoy.

6. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

yeah, good luck with it

7. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

At least someone is working around here.....:D

8. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Thank you all for your support.
    The transom, a nice piece of 125Lbs built of lumber 1-1/2" by 3-1/2" edge fastened with 3/8" by 12" spikes is now done. Latter on it will be put it in place and bolted.
    Daniel

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

How´s Loudoun going further?

10. dskira

dskira Previous Member

The flat steel bar shoe is whited and painted with boiled coal tar, ready to be put in place, transom done ready to be bolted, the deadwood bolted, framing in progress, floors done and bolted to the keel.
    The counterstern is on work in the shop.
    The stem is done, rabbett cut. Will be bolted in a week time. The stemson are allready bolted.
    A lot of sub-construction in the shop before being put in place. And it is a good thing since the weather was rainy and unusualy cold (32F - 45F)
    Some pictures will be put very soon.
    Thanks for the interrest, it is a fun project, keep me in shape and I hope to loose some weight in the process :D

Daniel

11. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This construction is an experience to try the "time capsule" theory. Just kidding but not much.
    I built in the past numerous vessel, all size, some the same length as a tall man, and some passing the 70' mark. This is the range approximately I was building. I had a shop, but not for the boat, for the tools only and large enough to do some carpentry.
    The lofting been made in segments.
    Building outside require when its wood, big timbers, no glue, and adapting the construction system and procedure knowing that the weather will decide for you what's next. So the plan B was the norm.
    But with all the difficulties, the impracticality, it is one of the thing I miss the most in my life.
    I wanted, I needed to be outside a last time to built a boat. This one is not big, but it is the same logic. And this time I am alone.
    I designed her with over scantling, to be able to feel my timber, the fastening are also quite heavy for the size, but I need to have a real bolt or spike in my hand, I use a lot of tar, linseed oil, I need the smell.
    I need to be outside with large piece of wood with goop in my hand, and let the weather telling me what to do.
    Been the designer allowed me to design the way I wanted her to be built. A time capsule
    And a lot of good memories sometimes come to me, and I look at my vessel in reduction and smile.
    It is perhaps over sentimental, but this is the reason why I am building the way I do.
    I have the fantastic chance to do it, and I realize that.
    Daniel

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

I get that. Poignant.

13. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

well written Daniel , some of us have a need to build something solid, you describe most of my working life

14. apex1

apex1 Guest

Well put Daniel. I wish there were more around with that approach. Sadly quite a few will understand what you are talking.

Regards
    Richard

15. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This is the keel upside down with the floors bolted and the scarfs too.
    This is the last coat of coal tar before receiving the steel shoe also primed in
    coal tar.
    After that the keel will be put back right side up.
    Daniel
    [​IMG]