design tool

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by prathab, Oct 6, 2014.

1. prathab

prathab Junior Member

i am new for wooden boat building , basically a mechanical engineer . i want to learn boat design & construction methods too ( wooden boat ). i have experience in epoxy resin infusion methods ... which software is i have t learn first ? Autocad is enough ? or i have to go anyother ? . how to start with ? presently working in wooden boat building company in india as a sourcing manager . but i have to learn very fast to make models ,,, kindly give me some tips to learn ,,, very interesting to work in boat building methods ...

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Hi Prathab, welcome to the forum.
    I've developed a software to make models and naval architecture calculations with AutoCAD. If interested, you can download it from my website
    Also I can try to help you with what you need, both for modeling and for hydrostatic calculations, etc.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

You'll probably want to learn about the engineering aspect specific to boats before getting down to learning how to use software. Most competent engineering CAD packages will do the job but all they will do is draw what you want, not necessarily what makes a decent boat/ship. Your best bet is to start with books on design and books tailored to your company's method of construction. Dave Gerr's Elements of Boat Strength is a good start, as are books by Chappel, Skene's Elements of Yacht Design (the 8th edition or higher), The Nature of boats by Gerr, Introduction to Naval Architecture by Gillmer and Johnson, Seaworthiness by C.A. Marchaj (pertains to yachts but still good info), Preliminary Design of Boats and Ships by C Hamlin, Principals of Yacht Design by Larsson and Eliasson. There are many others and most won't apply or only give you some information while others will be full of goodies. Not all agree with each other, some are old and out of date but still have valuable information. Some writers don't agree with others and others do...

Good luck

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

lewisboats is quite right in everything he says. However, as apparently what you need is to start making models very quickly, maybe someone will help you to get your first goal while, calmly, you learn the particularities of shipbuilding.
    Of course, good luck

5. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Why do you have to lean to make models ?

Just buy some suitable plans, and follow the instructions to start with.

If you are new to boats, designing is waaaaay down the track.

Would you design a house before understanding the building techniques etc ?

6. joz

joz Senior Member

Have you tried to looking at local and international schools that offer boat design on a full time basis including those schools that offer boat design as a correspondence course as well?

7. prathab

prathab Junior Member

building techniques

in india no such school is teaching those such type of boat building methods , last one year i was in a company who is doing sail boats , but they keep me away from the building progress , they use me as source manager only , now i joined newly in same boat building company in india , trying to learn boat building. i was build an italian old type of boat ( cornigiotto ) with cold moulding it was appreciated in genova boat show last week . i want to do more , those boat building books are not easily available in indian market ... need to learn building methods fully & model too ...

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.