Building RYD-16.9 Rocky - Hull 21

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by John Theunissen, Aug 5, 2017.

1. LP

LP Flying Boatman

Hey John.
    I've been following your build with great interest. Have you made any progress since your last post? It's looking great.

2. John Theunissen

John Theunissen Junior Member

G’day LP,
    Thanks for your interest in my build. One never knows who is looking unless they make a comment.
    CEAFA874-69E4-48E0-B05C-3A07B459552F.jpeg 1BE6B1BB-2988-4830-9D59-5D8E52FD755A.jpeg F70DFDE6-E6A5-4212-8B4D-3D3DD11379A6.jpeg
    I had some time over the Christmas/New Year break to make a little progress. I finished the temporary construction of the remaining bulkheads, gave them a coat of epoxy, and have started to permanently fillet them into place where they belong. I’ve attached a couple of pics to this post to illustrate.
    With PAR no longer with us, I’m kind-of feeling my way a bit with the build, and to be honest I have been vacillating between the rig plans that I originally ordered from him (which was the Bermudan Ketch), and the later plan set that I purchased for the Gaff Sloop. I’ve more or less reached the point in the build where I need to make up my mind.
    So, as a bit of lateral thinking, I’m contemplating building flexibility into the construction so that I can accommodate both rigs (would really be a variation of PAR’s other Gaff Ketch rather than the Bermudan Ketch). I have been looking at the Vivier/Chase design for Jewell (Yawl rig) and there is a very neat rudder-tiller arrangement that enables one to locate the mizzen mast out of the way, but it does mean I would have to play with the sail plan to achieve a similar lead to what PAR had designed.
    Any thoughts or advice is welcomed.
    Regards, John T.

3. LP

LP Flying Boatman

John,

Thanks for posting the photos. It good to see others in a project of this nature. I had to go revisit Vivier's website to see Jewell. Vivier does some nice designs. That would certainly be an option to built that type of mizzen step and rudder design. I would caution aganst changing Paul's plans too much, but I won't preach. He has an interesting solution to a centerline mizzen and rudder combination with Rocky. It sounds like you might have some engineering background so the changes could be something that you could do easily. The biggest caution I have would be to avoid additional weight. Paul was very weight conscience in his designs.

It looks great. Keep up the progress. People really do progress notes.

Cheers.

4. John Theunissen

John Theunissen Junior Member

272DCDB5-3C50-4A4F-843B-F17D9655C144.jpeg 4388EFB3-ED02-4CF6-8F22-5EDA2E2761E9.jpeg G’day LP,
    Thanks for your insights and your wise words as regards modifying existing designs. In PAR’s Rocky Bermudan Ketch design the mizzen is offset and there is a metal linkage arrangement between the tiller (which is located at the aft bulkhead) and the rudder. I would rather a direct drive approach which the Jewell design provides. Anyway, food for thought in terms of where I go next with the construction. Also, as you say, weight is a challenge for me - Paul did already comment on that, and this is surely not going to be the fastest Rocky out there once built, but I am trying to measure my naturally conservative tendencies in construction.
    Present focus is on the centreboard housing construction and fitting - a real trap for novice boatbuilders like me. I was planning to permanently install all of the bulkheads and then move on to the next phase, but fortunately I realised that unless I constructed and fitted the centreboard housing before installing the cabin bulkhead, there would be no way of getting the housing into its position. Like a game of chess - you have to think several moves ahead. Here are a couple of pics of the weekend endeavours.
    Regards, John T.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.