Building RYD-16.9 Rocky - Hull 21

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by John Theunissen, Aug 5, 2017.

1. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Yes John, please carry on with the thread and the build, post progress reports with pictures and questions, we'll see who steps in, I have good hopes for that . . :cool:

Good luck !

2. John Theunissen

John Theunissen Junior Member

BA562848-9051-488A-8862-DBF55236189D.jpeg Greetings,
    Interior seams now completed. By no means perfect but I’m ok with the results. I think I’m finally getting the hang of the thickened epoxy consistency for filleting.
    Regards, John T.

3. Gary Park

Gary Park New Member

Hi John - Hoping you might have some advice for me - with Paul's sad passing ,do you know if his plans( in particular Rocky ) is still available for purchase
    - great job by the way on your Rocky , you must be nearly (or already) at completion - I am also in Melbourne Vic - cheers mate

4. Angélique

Hi Gary, welcome to the forum !

Paul's website is still working, if you try the contact page then his wife Gail might answer your phone call or e-mail.

And maybe John has some additional info about the availability of Paul's plans after his passing . . ?

Good luck !

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P.S. - Just saw Gail has put up a message containing her own e-mail address, which is now also on the top of the front page of Paul's website.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

P.P.S. - I've posted about this on the thread RIP Mr. Paul (PAR) Riccelli in post #63.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  5. John Theunissen

Hi Gary,

Glad to hear someone local is interested in Rocky. I’m happy to host a visit if you want to know more about the build and/or my experiences so far. I’m far from complete, have started to make the bulkheads and I should post a couple of pictures of the fore peak bulkhead which is constructed but not yet glued (I’m going to make all of the fore section bulkheads before permanently fixing them in place in case I discover issues with my measurements etc.)

Regarding the availability of plans I’ll defer to Angelique’s comments - hopefully Gail is still able to carry on the sale of Paul’s plans. My email address is john.m.theunissen@gmail.com if you would like to arrange a visit.

Hope it works out for you. It would be great to have someone else building Rocky, I am thoroughly enjoying the experience and I really like the design. I do miss Paul though, his advice and guidance was second to none.

Regards, John T.

6. Angélique

If Gail isn't able to send plans, then maybe Gary could ask her what the royalties are for building a Rocky from a copy of John's plans . . ?

7. Angélique

PAR sailboats Rocky (RYD-16.9) ‘‘ Full plan sets are $180 (USD) ’’ Oz $

From that I'll suspect/hope that only the royalties for the rights to build one Rocky without sending plans and without Paul's guidance won't be very expensive, but that's up to Gail. Must say though, I've always thought Paul's plans were way too inexpensive for what they offer, and Paul's full build guidance that was included.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  8. John Theunissen

I would like to echo Angelique’s comments about Paul’s plans and the added value that came with his advice and support etc.
    Subject to Gail’s feedback I would be happy to provide a copy of the plans at no cost, with all royalties to be provided to Gail. The one aspect that may need clarification is how to treat the hull “number”.

9. Gary Park

Gary Park New Member

Thanks Angelique and John for your replies and comments - Yes I think it is a great design and attractive small cabin sailboat - I am 1 year off retiring and will be getting the build underway then- this will give me time to get everything (ha?) together and prepared - I'll investigate through Paul's site if they are available and then see where it goes then - thanks for the kind offer of plans for royalty fee to Gail if it works for everyone - Would love to see your build John - I'll work out a suitable time and see if it fits for you - cheers Gary

10. John Theunissen

Hi Gary,
    Thanks for your response, I’ll look out for your contact. Boatbuilding as a transition to retirement project is a wonderful idea. I’m still in the working class and probably will be for several more years (60 next year) so I am not able to devote lots of time to the build, hence the lengthy construction process.
    Regards, John T.

11. John Theunissen

Hi Angelique,
    I thought you may like this - My nephew Shane In Canada developed and narrated this short film about boat building (he lectures at St Mary’s University in Halifax). He is also seen rowing in it on his own towards the end .

He received a Canadian short-film award for it.
    Regards, John T.

Angélique likes this.
  12. Angélique

Thanks for posting John, and thanks to nephew Shane, very inspiring . . :)

The boat - Bevin's Skiff - made it to the cover of WoodenBoat Magazine, Issue #145 Nov/Dec 1998.

13. John Theunissen

1E59A15A-586E-473B-B24D-22E4CDFB0805.jpeg E4F7F747-34B8-485B-9872-C77A2B69D06E.jpeg 1EE74C83-FB2C-4219-BE99-3C870CC03571.jpeg 65CD5327-3792-4F5F-AE3B-152CF69B212C.jpeg G’day,
    I’ve been somewhat tardy in posting updates of my build, even though the progress has been very “incremental”. Here are some pics of the early work on the bulkheads. I’m taking the approach of cutting the various parts and temporarily assembling the structures in situation, without doing any permanent epoxy filleting until I’m certain everything will fit together and levels align etc. Obtaining a consistent deck camber can be quite challenging.
    Regards, John T.

14. John Theunissen

D1453DDA-3B58-452F-AD1B-5C699E44D826.jpeg 0E50C446-E60D-4D73-B6A4-54AD3C94988D.jpeg Greetings,
    We had a long weekend here so was able to progress the work on the ringframe. I’m enjoying the challenge of most pieces having no right angles! If Paul was still with us, he’d be continuing to remind me that I’m building too heavy. I’m just mindful that this bulkhead and sandwiched deck beam have to carry the compression forces imposed by the mast, so I don’t mind being somewhat over cautious.
    Regards, John T.

15. John Theunissen

13E625CC-4917-4635-B818-97118C8C846E.jpeg 6D974D01-5713-4342-A467-DBE3657F1AC0.jpeg A8BD8BE9-E943-4854-9ED9-DD27BDAC3421.jpeg 0AFDE038-AE92-45DB-B2E2-94574360FE96.jpeg F5602179-442D-42FF-97EA-CA51C7580FE5.jpeg 92B002A7-90C7-465D-BAB3-EAD77537C8EB.jpeg Greetings,
    Some more incremental progress on the bulkhead constructions. I wanted to strengthen the sandwiched deck beam structure which has to support the mast as there is no compression post.
    Regards, John T.