Cherub, Weston Farmer

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Aneblanc, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Aneblanc

Aneblanc Junior Member

Hello,

I would interested to find out if Cherub http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/wf/cherub/ has ever been built.

If yes, what steel plate thickness has been used and what kind of displacement has been achieved?
    Has the waterline been respected and what kind of framing has been used?

I am planning a V-bottom long keel centreboarder in steel of 4 to 5 t loaded displacement with good ultimate stability and maximum length for the intended displacement (probably 26-28'). I am thinking of using Corten steel of 3 (bottom) and 2 mm (sides) if available and a strongly cambered plywood raised deck to reduce the freeboard and benefit the ultimate stability.

2. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

I do not understand why you think a "strongly cambered raised plywood deck" will "reduce the freeboard and benefit the ultimate stability".

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

TANSL, I think he's referring to a flush decked approach, which doesn't lower freeboard, but can improve it's AVS considerably.

Are attempting to self design this boat? If so a 5.8 m LWL boat (Cherub) with a 4 - 5 ton displacement is just a really unnecessarily fat boat, frankly, suggesting you might be best advised to reconsider, buy a set of plans and stick to it's dimensions and scantlings.

4. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

The idea that I have is that the camber of the deck has little effect on the freeboard of a ship. There is a factor when calculating freeboard, which depends on the camber and gives a number which is added to tabular freeboard. But, if there are major problems with the freeboard, it is best to increase the depth if posible (or increase the height of the coamings).
    Moreover, freeboard by itself does not make more or less stable boat. It can influence the extent of flooding point and therefore cause some stability criterion is met with more or less easily, but that's all.
    I know I'm simplifying the problem but I think that in general, it is correct what I say.

5. Aneblanc

Aneblanc Junior Member

OK, forget the last paragraph, I am actually not looking for any answer for that. Just answer the first 2 ones if you can. Thanks.

Cheers

6. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Aneblanc, do not get angry with me if I think you said something that makes no sense.
    Now I will answer, as you ask me, the other two questions. You're asking someone to do scantlings of the boat for you and that, my friend, must be asked with more humility. The best thing you can do is perform some calculation and, if you are unsure of themselves, seek advice. If you're going that route, have no doubt that I will help.
    Cheers

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The link has a price of $135 for the set of plans. It is really cheap for all the information you can get out of it.

8. Aneblanc

Aneblanc Junior Member

Just reread my questions before answering.

I was asking if someone knows if Cherub has ever been built.

What steel plate thickness has been used, what kind of displacement has been achieved and if the finished boat is floating on its lines?

I am not asking for anyone to calculate anything, thank you.

There is room for variations between a plan and the reality depending on availability of material and skills.

Cheers

9. TANSL

TANSL Senior Member

Okay, you can say that I have expressed myself wrong.
    What you want is someone to tell you the thickness of the plates and the separation of frames. I call that to "say scantlings having a boat" ( certainly within the term " scantlings " there are many other things ) .
    Furthermore, to determine whether the boat floats on its lines, one must know the weight of the boat and know the hydrostatic values. As you know very well , for the weight of a ship 's good to have previously calculated scantlings .
    You say , with much knowledge of shipbuilding, the following "There is room for variations Between a plan and the reality Depending on availability of materials and skills. " . Therefore, I conclude that you know the ship ha already been built . That leads me to ask me why you say in the first post "I would interested to find out if you http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/wf/cherub/ Cherub ever been built . " .
    Anyway, I do not know if you know or not but I do not understand why your questions.
    What exactly do you intend to get from this fórum?.

10. Tad

Tad Boat Designer

The first Cherub was built in 1980-81 for Farmer as a prototype before the plans were completed. He died before the plans were completed and Nelson Zimmer finalized the drawings. Most of the plate is 11ga (approx 3mm).

The photos below are of the prototype, built in Florida, and they appeared in the Steel Yacht Quarterly #18, of winter 1984.

Cherub1.jpg

Cherub2.jpg

Cherub3.jpg

Cherub4.jpg

11. Aneblanc

Aneblanc Junior Member

Thanks a lot Tad!

12. Paul Corbeau

Paul Corbeau New Member

Hello Aneblanc. I know this is an ancient post but if you ever went ahead with the Cherub, could you please PM me or email.
    Thanks ...Paul
    ps: I'm a new poster and can't PM...Sorry

13. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Hi Paul,

Aneblanc hasn't logged onto the forum since May 2018...

You might try Google or YouTube with some keywords from his posts.

Good luck.

14. Paul Corbeau

Paul Corbeau New Member

Thanks Bluebell...I appreciate your advice!
    Paul.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.