Building New Br Euro2600...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by EURO2600, Feb 12, 2010.

1. EURO2600

EURO2600 New Member

Yes I know.... I am crazy even on considering to build such a big boat... but the fact is I just bought the full cutting plans for the Euro 2600 from Bruce Roberts... ( www.bruceroberts.com/public/HTML/EURO26.htm )

I have never built a boat before so I am sure this will be another challenge of my life... I allways loved the impossible. However I do not like to make huge mistakes I cannot go back.

So first I would like to know some feedback from anyone that have built a Bruce Roberts Motoryacht. If you have anything on the Euro 2200 to 2600 line that will be even greater.

I have some concerns and I like some comments about the design of it... how do you think it could be improved ?

Tks...

2. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

EURO2600 dont make a fool of yourself

you have bought an expensive set of plans, very very complicated, from a very experienced design office

http://www.bruceroberts.com/public/HTML/EURO26.htm

if you have doubts about the design or designer - dont buy the plans, buy plans to suit you

if anybody tells you that a design can be "improved" or changed they are talking nonsence

stick to the plans and the designer, and you will be happy
    start changing things and the designer will loose interest

final post - dont change plans !!!

3. EURO2600

EURO2600 New Member

Tks for the advice...

Very usefull tips... I liked the design and I plan sticking on it... however I have seen some sucessfull changes on a EURO 1400 basically on glass coverage and some other details ( I could not get in touch with builder)...

That is why I am asking that, little changes that preserving the main design can make the boat even more appealing...

Tks again !!!

4. Scott Carter

Scott Carter Senior Member

Euro,
    You would be well advised to stick to the plans as supplied by the designer. If you choose to make alterations, even seemingly minor ones, you will find the design office distancing and, perhaps, divorcing itself from the entire project. Considering your relative lack of experience the design office may end up being your best friend and most valuable ally during the build process. You've already paid them a certain amount of money. Depending on the individual designer, this may buy you a certain amount of technical support during the build (some offices will not provide this, though). To lose the designer's support from the beginning may prove to be a big loss for you. If you had even a few other builds under your belt you would stand a much better chance of not needing any support at all. But given the steep learning curve, even the most well-prepared and presented set of plans may leave some gaps of information that a more experienced builder could fill in by themselves, but you may be at a loss and need the designer's clarification or input. Don't miss that opportunity by changing the design and alienating the build.
    That being said, the kind of changes you're proposing will end up determining whether everything I just said even applies. Glass coverage, in my opinion, constitutes a major change which the designer would want to do a weight calculation on (and charge you for) before giving the OK. But whether to use a wooden or plastic rub-rail might fly slightly under the designer's radar (e.g. they wouldn't care, for the most part). As I said, the exact changes you propose will determine the response by the designer, and thus whether you should consider making them.

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's guaranteed that the designer himself knows what improvements would make the most sense, since no boat is beyond improvement. I don't mean that the designer didn't create a good set of plans. I mean that no design is unimprovable, and who but the man with the most experience and builder feedback will know where to improve the design?
    Indeed, unless the plans have only recently been introduced, it's very likely that any obvious problem has already been corrected. If the actual hull design is lacking, you'll find this out as others comment on their sailing experiences.
    Nowadays, with the internet, the average builder can knock himself out commenting publicly for no charge, and that's where you should be looking (which you are, though a bit late to save the cost of plans).
    Build your boat, and good luck. I doubt the design has any big flaws. If anything, the design comprimise may not suit you personally, but that happens quite frequently to novice builders and sailors. At least the designer has probably designed a boat to fit someone's idea of perfection.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.