building new amas/floats from recycled beachcat hulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by trip the light fandango, Apr 23, 2019.

1. trip the light fandango

trip the light fandango Senior Member

No I didn't know that, thanks.

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Yes, the paper last longer because the water washes the "dust" away, it cuts better because of the lube, like drilling steel.
    Add a few drops of dishwashing liquid to the water.
    With wet and dry 120 is quite coarse, you can then go through a few grades till 1200 after which you can buff with cutting compound. Say 120,320,600,1200 buff.
    Wipe or spray on India ink in acetone as guide coat. :)
    If you have large areas to rough down use an air powered sander.
    Obviously because electric and water aren't a good combination.

3. trip the light fandango

trip the light fandango Senior Member

I didn't think of air powered, I've used wet and dry years ago with an electric orbital on flat surfaces successfully, useful information thanks redreuben.
    My epoxy has dried so I can go ahead, the bloody weight issue is annoying me though, to stop now and start a better longer lighter more expensive version is going to take many months to get to where I am now, I would dunce the daggerboard idea though . I'm surprised how many obligations I have that I didn't think took up much time, it has become apparent they do,..ha.. err. Throwing away what I have built without testing /using them would be pretty depressing. but save time and money.I just don't know whether the weight will sink their usefulness .

4. BlueBell

BlueBell Ahhhhh...

Don't quit Trip.
    Finish what you started.
    Try and reduce or minimise weight.
    Get her in the water.
    If it is the disaster you're anticipating, then remove all the hardware and scrap it.
    You'll have learned a sh*t load and be that much wiser for the next build.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.