building new amas/floats from recycled beachcat hulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by trip the light fandango, Apr 23, 2019.

1. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

Thanks for the reply. I might give it a miss unless it has really good rigging and sails. Old multi had a fair bit of info but a member on 1 of the facebook forums knows the boat personally. His mate used to race it at hastings and did the conversion there.

2. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Senior Member

Following your tri with interest, hope you get a second wind and finish it. It would be great to see a video of it sailing.

3. trip the light fandango

trip the light fandango Senior Member

I deliberately built re-enforced dagger board cases into these floats that would account for 12kgs 26lbs plus each, centred in each hull.
    The plan was /is to one day set up foils/ diagonal boards., when I've forgotten what a drag working on boats is .
    With out spending lots on Kevlar and carbon and having other floats engineered to manage the loads no other proposals offer this option.
    Of course this assumes that my cases will work with foils.. but they can be removed if they don't and replaced with conventional boards.
    No other floats suggested offer dagger boards either. 40 kgs extra spread over 21 1/2ft doesn't seem like that much to me.
    Thanks to all for the input , I'll plod on doggedly..regards.

4. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Tornado hulls might not be perfect per the discussion above, but they come with centerboards already installed. I doubt they weight over 10KG with centerboard.

5. Doug Halsey

Doug Halsey Senior Member

I think Tornado hulls are actually a lot heavier than that. At least 40kg each, without centerboard.

6. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Doug, you are completely right.
    I meant to be talking about the centerboard plus case, to compare with the 26KG in #78 post.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.