building new amas/floats from recycled beachcat hulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by trip the light fandango, Apr 23, 2019.

1. trip the light fandango

trip the light fandango Senior Member

Weight has all sorts of issues so tortured ply would have been ideal with a couple of layers of mat. I'm pretty sure it was suggested before I started. It is a case of affordability , fibreglass familiarity, longevity wanting to recycle and pig headedness.

H18 hulls are supposedly 45kgs when new ,mine were possibly closer to 60kgs 137lbs I think. The deck join / gunwales are heavy and thick.
    These new hulls are 21 1/2ft long with 1/3 more volume than H18 with quite strong cases for the dagger boards, I've read of Buccaneer floats being a similar weight, 220lbs/ 100kgs, the owner wasn't that thrilled though.
    I'll be taking pictures as I go. I was counting what I have so far as 8, 2 for each amas connection, I'm adding 1 more for each. It will horrify/ make sense with pictures .
    Overall it isn't very heavy compared to other trimarans, this boat will easily take your weight and we can ram a partially sunken container without sinking..ha..err. By the time its finished they will probably have found a vaccine so you're welcome.
    It is pretty light because the cabins are coffin sized and no other trimaran was prepared to make that compromise unless it was/ is a racing boat.
    An F22 is 1300lbs 590kgs empty, Crowther 25 Buccaneer 910kgs/2006lbs. An F25a is considered a cruiser if it weighs in over 1250kgs.

The weight I am adding is the equivalent of an average height person, 80kgs 176 lbs.
    But to be honest I won't know the final weight until it is finished and weighed, if I can't sail faster than a light F25 with my hobie 18 rig I wont be surprised. I'll be more disappointed if I can't close haul well and its behaviour isn't seakindly, that is more important for how I plan to cruise.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    Corley likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.