building new amas/floats from recycled beachcat hulls

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by trip the light fandango, Apr 23, 2019.

1. trip the light fandango

trip the light fandango Senior Member

I made baffles to stop water sloshing up and down the lower bilge skins of the floats yesterday, I'll be reinforcing where they could punch into the Hobie 18 hulls just in case. I don't think I'll use water ballast but I will have a manual bilge pump that can transfer or bail, connected to all three hulls . Really long runs where a tack isn't necessary it would be tempting.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    revintage likes this.
  2. trip the light fandango

I have nearly finished the baffles, I just need to cut slots down the centre of each of them then glass while pulled /tied in, the same width as the outer skins to match the original H18 shape. I should be able to increase buoyancy forward as H16 naturally has more than H18. Reading Oldmulti's post on Buccaneer24 modifications[wow] was a little unsettling. Sticking to my original design criteria/statement of intentions- a safe fast strong cruiser that I can camp on.. seems a little dull by comparison. But money and time, experience and purpose are keypoints, it's taken a month to put in the baffles...ha There were 2 cheap buccaneers on Gumtree in need of resto's a couple of days ago.. I'm enjoying the work though ,no rush, just get the hours in when feasible ,just get there regularly. The missus has resigned herself to it [within reason..ha] and I think is showing no annoyance,..well that my dulled male or possibly deluded sensors can detect, much less of a slog. Note to self, must resist extending beams,..maybe one day.

3. BlueBell

BlueBell Ahhhhh...

Go Trip!!!

4. trip the light fandango

20191126_154222(1).jpg 20191210_151542.jpg

Torturing old Hobie hulls with a bit of personal torture ,coveting someone else's broken dream...
    I cut the baffles down the middle and reglassed them so they won't have far to bend when glassed on to the H18 hulls. The other key to all this is don't get distracted and grab the time windows to work on it ..well one of the bunch of keys anyway, like enjoy the process, keep the dust and fumes out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.