referance material help?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by captword, Apr 5, 2008.

1. captword

captword Junior Member

I have two boats on the drawing board. the one boat there are simular boats on the market, to do comparrison too for weight estimation. The other boat that is on the board is an older design but will be built using more modern tachniques. I need to calculate the approximate weight of the boat so i can figure approximate proppeler size and shaft angle. is there a referance book that has weights and densities of wood, fiberglass, composit materials,....
    the better composit sites have that data on the web. But is there a book that has this listed? i know that it will not have newer composites in it.
    Captword

2. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

3. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

It would pay to make the shaft angle one that is available from major suppliers, so often I see plans for some dreamed up "shaft angle". The shaft angle is predetermined by the gear box! (often 10deg)

Engines like to have their sumps level so that the oil pump can do its job>

4. captword

captword Junior Member

I have delt with a florida supplier on several boat remodels. i got to figure prop siz aproximately. After i get a rough propsize i will call and see what he has available so i can adjust the plans if possible. his custom price beets any here n NC. I have worked with enuf boats and had to work around poor design. Settting everything up with the best access possible. My theory is design it how i would want to have to work on it. Not design what looks good from a distance ,but dont try n get to anything below deck. Just tryng to get better details so I can present to a customer.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.