building my dream boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by BatuBatu, May 24, 2011.

1. BatuBatu

BatuBatu Junior Member

2. masalai

masalai masalai

BatuBatu,
    Why so big are you thinking of a floating hotel or whorehouse?
    - What do you plan to do with such a huge elephant?
    - Where will you moor it?
    - Where do you plan to cruise? - the cruising region does influence design considerations... (need for shallow draft, need for a limit on the beam to enter certain sheltered harbours, limits on LOA for a marina berth wave height, length and fetch - I forget the term I am trying to think of...)
    - What range will it have under power and at what speed?
    - In severe storms, what will you do the secure your boat in a sheltered anchorage?
    - do you realise that the accepted definition of a pleasure-boat is "a construction into which you pour money to try to keep it afloat." "and that the cost is cubed, or worse, by an increase in the waterline length per decimetre."

May I suggest that you build a dingy first, about 1m wide and 2.5 ~ 3.5m long Keep the empty weight down (less than 30kg, such that you can lift it with ease)... Try marine-plywood or DuFlex... (the latter is NOT waterproof and needs to be sealed with epoxy and paint... Marine-ply uses waterproof glue but also needs sealing with paint...)

Do some comparisons and check out the GLOBAL markets to learn what is there and how much does it cost...
    http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-f...=N&tabID=303693&Qpb=1&sid=1307053A56B9&Nne=15

Use your search engine and find other used and new boat searches... It is not feasible to convert a power into sail boat, but a sail boat can motor at modest displacement speeds...

These are sailing catamarans sorted longest first in Australian region http://www.boatsales.com.au/boats-f...=N&tabID=303693&Qpb=1&sid=1307053A56B9&Nne=15

3. BatuBatu

BatuBatu Junior Member

this is the one :) i will make them in 2 pieces

waterline?
    calculations for a cat i think its just with a wet finger :)

Attached Files:

4. masalai

masalai masalai

When you come to sell it, no one will buy it unless you have a successful and well regarded reputation, such as having done several round the world trips, encounter lots of wild weather, proven your design, and all is documented all in a log-book or online website dedicated to your boat and your adventures...

Buy a plan from a well regarded designer of global cruising yachts... They are around US$5500 for a single build, with build advice from the designer...

Apart from playing with a CAD package, you seem to lack the maritime experience and engineering competence to produce a worthy design...
    - Experience as an aircraft design engineer...
    - Extensive sailing and cruising experience in a variety of yachts...
    - Experience in using the build technology & materials...

You have not indicated:
    - Where you will be cruising... - That will impact on design consideration and compromises...
    - Who will be cruising with you... - Will also impact on design aspects, as do the following...
    - Will you be independent of marinas and onshore facilities...
    - Will you be live-aboard - or - leisure time weekend sailing based at a marina?

You do not seem to have done any research and "due-dilligence" ??? ... Just run with your emotions and had this wonderful dream ??? ...

5. Lurvio

Lurvio Mad scientist

Masalai and others
    You are talking to a wall here, this guy has not answered any of the question/criticism and probably never will.

L

6. BatuBatu

BatuBatu Junior Member

is it true the pieces of lamination (glass fibres) example 4 outside must be the same pieces 4 inside the hull

i want a little more lamination inside the hull?

Attached Files:

7. masalai

masalai masalai

What for? another bathtub?

8. BatuBatu

BatuBatu Junior Member

not for a bathtub :)

i will work with a male hull and PIR 80kg/m3 hand laminated with epoxy or vinylester

some people says to me that the thickness of lamination must be the same inside as outside

9. masalai

masalai masalai

Get a qualified NA, or build to a professional design...

10. BatuBatu

BatuBatu Junior Member

masalai it is too easy for building a ugly stupid boat its time for the next generation :)
    smart thinking: better lines more practise places and with the good materials on this moment everyone can do it (africa etc they built also boats) wake up masalai

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Batu,
    I have been through the "exercise", similar to what you are attempting...
    - I discovered the criteria that would meet my needs in that process.. Why re-invent the wheel?
    - I found designers who had projects that closely met what I was after, Robin Chamberlin, John Hitch and Bob Oram...
    - Bob was available... Bob has a 'good eye', as well as having demonstrated and proved the engineering...
    - The engineering is the important part... Light weight is CRUCIAL in retaining performance in a cat...

You should build your boat as you seem to disapprove of the experiences of others... Record your build herein, go sailing and let the "observers" Ooooh and Ahhh in appreciation of a beautiful job or entertain themselves with lots of laughter and derision at your ignorant arrogance... Time for you 'to put up' or shut up, and accept the wisdom and experience of others...

Mine is built, it is unique, it works to my total satisfaction... and under power does better than 2 miles per litre of fuel... FIND A GOOD DESIGNER WHO CAN DO THE ENGINEERING and has a good eye... You will still have more input than you can handle as a first build to your own criteria...

12. BatuBatu

BatuBatu Junior Member

take it easy iy wiil be a monohull

13. BatuBatu

BatuBatu Junior Member

cleaning and waxing the hull

Attached Files:

14. BatuBatu

BatuBatu Junior Member

searching information of this boat, builder, country,

Attached Files: