Autopsy Needed on Nautilglass V-150

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by green1181, Jan 14, 2016.

1. green1181

green1181 Junior Member

I bought a Nautiglass V150 half cab, and noticed the stringers and transom were completely rotten. I have stripped all the old wood out of the boat. Installed new stringers in a bed for resin/talk mix. While doing my first layer of glass on the boat I noticed tons of small cracks through the boats original glss. I am guessing this might be from me not supporting it properly while the stringers were out (sitting on trailer). Attached is a picture. I started to grind the area and put a layer of csm and trix cloth but wanted to check with the experts here if it is even worth fixing at this point. I appreciate any help, thanks guys.

Attached Files:

2. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

They just look like cracks in the thick layer of resin there. Thats normal in resin without the glass. You could grind a couple of the cracks down to make sure. Nautiglass are usually made pretty good apart from the transoms rotting which is the same with most old glass hulls.

3. green1181

green1181 Junior Member

Thanks, i'll have a closer look tonight but i'm pretty sure I can see where the fibers are broken. When I gave it an acetone wipe it really showed up.

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

Ok. Its hard to tell in the photo.