Building is starting. Several questions in here. Answer any you like! :)

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by CatBuilder, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

2. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

rx: Thank you soooo much for taking the time to explain this stuff to me. I'm still studying everything you have said and considering the Excel document with the laminating instructions for the unique areas.

Question for anyone:

Is there at text book, like Gougeon's "On Boat Construction" that deals specifically with how to laminate a cored boat?

I have the Gougeon's book since I was going to do wood/epoxy. Since I have switched, I'm not finding the same text book for cored composite construction techniques. Any ideas?

3. AndrewK

AndrewK Senior Member

Catbuilder, google and download "Marine Composites" second edition by Eric Green Associates. Also if you PM your email address I can send you another manual that will be of good use to you.

4. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Airex One Off Construction, the ATC Core-Cell Design Manual
    Andre Bilodeau's Bead & Cove Construction Manual should be on your desk!

5. CatBuilder

Where did you buy those??

Bilodeau isn't responding to my inquiries and ATC is out of business.

I'll try the Airex one now... thanks!

(and thanks again, Andrew, even though I said thanks in the PM)

6. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

They were given to me a long time ago and one I earned! ATC Chemical is now with SP systems,There are people that have copies for sale,some in your line of boats to be exact.

7. rxcomposite

As Andrew k has said, Marine Composites. Some of the things I have mentioned is in there. It is now free to download.

Professional Boatbuilders also ran an article about one offs. I will search for it. Basically, the one offs foam core construction is similar to yours except the minimum of stringers is needed for the mold and they instruct the builder to screw the foam from inside. Lots of screws. Then unscrew the foam before removing from the mold. Another article is about using half a wheel temporaryly attached to the boat to roll it over but I think it is a cold molded wooden boat.

I have some techniques also but will write it later when I find the articles so I can give you a truer picture.

P.S.

Most of the details are class standards. There are more but it is somethig usually gained from experience. Doing the right thing in accordance with Class.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  8. rxcomposite

Catbuilder

What is the density and thickness of the foam you are using?

What is the your estimated sailing speed?

I will run some stress analysis.

Rx

9. CatBuilder

It's 5lb and 6lb and I think 3/4" foam. I think my (very) reputable designer did all the calcs already though. My problem is I don't have the hands on practical experience of building a foam/glassed boat. This is my first build.

10. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Here I always loft full size Always !

[​IMG]

Simple fixture 1 x 3 Battens 1" Airex sheets screwed on with #14 Screws from the backside.
    [​IMG]

Corecell Bead and cove job in Spabond!

[​IMG]

Cutting the Bead side.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. CatBuilder

Cool pictures, War Whoop!

That helps a lot to visualize the first steps. I think I am understanding the step of making the mold, getting foam in place and doing an initial fairing of the foam.

It's the glass work I'm a little apprehensive about.

I just found out several things from rxcomposite in this thread I didn't know before. There are proper building techniques to use when hand laminating. I need to know them to build a good boat.

That's why I'm trying to find a text book on the actual layup stuff...

12. CatBuilder

Ok, went over "Marine Composites." It's not quite like the Gougeon book.

The Gougeon book shows you *how* to build the boat, as well as a little dose of materials science.

The "Marine Composites" books is only materials science, descriptions of materials and a little parade of boats. :) Is there something that shows you how to do the layups properly?

On a side note, apparently I met some pretty fancy people looking for space to build my catamaran in Rhode Island. Aside from Ted Hood (Senior), I met the crew at TPI and Eric Goetz. I was referred to each of them as places I could rent space from. They're all in the "Marine Composites" publication.

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

14. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

Also just hire someone with experience to get going, You have a lot at stake here,Goetz should have a list of people for you to draw from. Best of luck.

15. rxcomposite

Not that I doubt your designer. I have opened Kurt Hughes website and it is impressive.

I am trying to resolve the issue wheter you will "rotate" the 0 degree ply orientation to 90 deree in the mid portion as Herman suggested and and with me concurring.

Anyway, found some artiles in Professional Boatbuilder whose method is similar to yours. I will scan it because its an old article (2008). Even you have links to PB, you wlll have to pay for back issues in CD format.

Rx