Building is starting. Several questions in here. Answer any you like! :)

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by CatBuilder, Nov 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

2. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

You could try scotch guarding a pair of pants and shirt, or light coveralls along with wearing the knee pads. Use the same ones every day like painters pants the epoxy should build up and act like a shield just like the paint on painters pants. It,s looking good , how is the silvertip working out? Also buy some squirle cage fans or a torpedo fan with a flex hose. We had to paint the inside of our ringer barge last summer , we tied the hose to our belt loop and drug it behind us,granger or maybe even harbor freight will carry them. rick

3. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

CB, you might want to cut up some old towels into strips too for headbands & glove bands, nothing worse than a trail of sweat in your laminate when you hold a hand up, looks like you got the makings of a real "slushie". Regards from Jeff.

4. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

Rick: I highly recommend the SilverTip. It has so many advantages, it's crazy.

1) Works down to 35F (1.6C)
    2) No blush, ever, with no limitation on humidity
    3) Nice and thin for wetting out glass - that's its only purpose (can't mix fillers with it)
    4) Sets up like a rock with no post curing needed
    5) Easy 2:1 mix ratio
    6) Less caustic/toxic than other epoxies I've tried, including System Three General Purpose
    7) Half hour working time on fast hardener, whole hour working time on slow hardener

I love the stuff. I did a lot of research before choosing it. It fits my build parameters here. You're not so far away, so it probably fits yours too.

Buy it from Joel at eBoat (bateau.com). Tell him I told you to get it there. :)

5. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I already have 75 gls, could,nt Joel to reply to my emails. rick

6. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Cat , I,m not sure who told you not to mix fillers with the silvertip, you had me scared. Both fiberglass supply and the bateau bunch say you can mix fillers with it. If you have,nt brought another epoxy yet you might try the silvertip. rick

7. CatBuilder

System three says not to use fillers with silvertip. Just look at any of their literature on silvertip on the website. It's only for laminating, not for coves and bulking.

8. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Cat , I went to their web site , they say you can use fillers, wood dust ect, they suggest you use their other silvertip products in place of adding fillers. rick

9. CatBuilder

Odd. That's not what I saw. I'll look at the site again when I come back inside tonight.

10. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Cat, go to the discription of silvertip epoxy on their site. I bought bulk ,so if I go 10% over on epoxy I,ll have 9gal left, enough to build a small bateau boat. You put some fear in my heart , I thought I might have to build a larger bateau boat with the left over epoxy. Also we had to have one of our subs come to town for a fix, one of the men is from the Jacksonville area, he work for a boat builder for a number of years. Do you want me to get his contact info just in case you need some help down the road? He has a full time job but might put in a day on a weekend from time to time. rick

11. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

You might call your local fire department re: fabrics they wear for different types of fire such as chemical, etc. You know they are all water tight. Some must be cooler than others. Just an idea for you. Stan-- How about plain old Duck trousers.

12. CatBuilder

Rick, that's weird. I did just read the SilverTip site and saw what you are talking about. Just to make things interesting, read the Technical Data Sheet on SilverTip at their site here:

http://www.systemthree.com/reslibrary/tds/Silvertip_C&L_Resin_TDS.pdf

It says the opposite. So, System Three is the one who is crazy here! :)

I was going off the technical data sheet.

Thanks for the offer on the help, but I'm in good shape. It took me about 1 month to get my first half hull done (ready to come out of the mold). I had no help. I'll do the other 4 halves myself too. I have those shop cranes to help lift the bridgedeck and that should be it for help - well, except I'll hire some $10/hr labor to help with final sanding.

13. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

Cat , your right , but they only say thay have not evaluated it with fillers, use their other products. It,s just a money thing. At least to me , I,m not going to buy any more epoxy to replace it. Your looking good so far, I hope you dont run into problems by cutting you mold, a bit scary to me. I start my build first of Ap. I found a location about a mile from our job yard. A slab , water ,power , roof and two of our men living on site with nothing to do on the weedends. I can run the picker down the road to flip. rick

14. CatBuilder

I don't know... you're cherry picking what you want out of the PDF.

It really says this:

"SilverTip epoxy is designed as a coating and fiberglassing resin rather than as an adhesive or fairing putty base. For
    these applications use other SilverTip Series members: GelMagic for bonding wood, fiberglass and other porous materials, EZ-
    Fillet as a wood flour filleting putty, QuikFair for fairing, and MetlWeld for bonding metals and other non-porous materials.
    Silvertip epoxy has not been evaluated for use with any of the common epoxy fillers and modifiers."

But, the main website says something different, so who knows? I have plenty of general purpose system three on hand for coves and I'm only using the SilverTip for laminating. Good deal on the location!! Wow.