Restoring a Easy-Rider 156

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by project boat, Oct 17, 2014.

1. project boat

project boat Mick

Hi all. As the title suggests I have got hold of a 4.4m fibreglass boat which needs a complete restoration. The main problems I need advice about are what's the best way to replace the floor and transom. I intended to split the boat by removing the top deck from the hull but have been advised not to before I replace the floor and stringers. Also should I restore with ply or composite floor and transom. I did intend to use ply, seal it then glass it in. Any ideas and advice on materials and procedures would be appreciated

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Welcome mate, my advice would be, maybe don't do it ! I assume your acquisition did not cost too much, being in the veteran class. You won't get back what time, effort and money you put into restoring it, imo, if you decide to dispose of it later. If it was, e.g., an old Haines 146, I would say it would be a worthwhile exercise, as they had a superior hull design, and are still in high demand. The Easy Rider, not so much. But you should find plenty of material in the archives here, using the search function, to guide you, if you proceed.

3. project boat

project boat Mick

Thanks for your reply. I bought the boat as a project and intend to keep it and use it as a estuary and crabbing boat only. Having said that if you think that it would cost thousands to complete I may look for something else. Your right the boat and trailer only cost a couple of hundred but surprisingly the trailer is in good condition and I would get triple what I paid just for that with a bit of TLC.

4. whitepointer23

whitepointer23 Previous Member

I like the easyriders. It won't cost a lot to fix up if you do it all yourself. Materials are not that expensive. I disagree on the resale. If you do a good job and the whole outfit presents well it will fetch around 3500 to 5500 so it leaves plenty of room to purchase materials seems you only paid a couple of hundred. Do everything yourself, labour is the killer .

5. Mr Efficiency

I do doubt all that WP23. It is not going to add value in the way you think. It is an old boat with no especial appeal, the old glass boats that would be worth restoring are few, imo. Unless of course you particularly like the hull, and intend to keep it, but for re-sale, you still have a dated old boat competing with a lot of late models.

6. whitepointer23

There is a big market for boats under 10,000. You probably deal with the higher end of the market. The easyriders are a popular boat and sea worthy for inshore fishing. A bit rougher ride than a haines but more stable at rest. He would have no trouble flogging it for what I said previously. There are plenty of good older 50 hp outboards around for under 1500 if he looks hard enough. Remember it is pleasure for him. He doesn't have to make a profit. I know what you are saying but if he was to go out and buy another boat he may still find problems anyway.

7. Mr Efficiency

Well, gutting and restoring old glass boats is dirty work, and tricky if you want everything to stay in shape, so you like to have an appreciated asset at the end of it.

8. whitepointer23

I love restoring old boats . I always come out even or a little bit in front . Better than pissing my money up the wall at the pub. If you enjoy the project don't you think that is an asset.

9. Mr Efficiency

If he gets satisfaction from doing the job, without caring about the $ aspect, I agree. But the chances are it could turn into a chore. He'd know better than us whether he is "handy". And, I don't know how fibreglass itch goes with a sweaty Townsville summer !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.