Building Flareline 18, would like to extend by 2 frames...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by BertKu, Feb 7, 2010.

1. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

I will be able to make a shelter, somebody gave me a very good idee. We bought a brand new 4 x 4 for the wife, I can't do that to her, to throw her new car out. We are too close to the coast and rust is a problem. My car is a 2.8 Tdi with 180.000km on the clock, and it does not matter to have it standing outside. Also I need the space to store the material.
    Hi Tunnels,
    I am a little confused. I am using the hull drawings from the 28 feeter and make it proportional smaller, not longer. I don't want to go too much over the 7 meters in total length. Do you mean that your Dad made it longer for the main birth?
    Bert

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Now im confused , the 18 we added a couple of feet to it . Caution ! If you are using plans for a 28 and making it shorter you could end up with something theat look like a tug boat !! sort of !! short is fat !!

3. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Easy, Yes, the support is indeed fantastic.
    By the time I have been able to get the fnal plan for me to start, I will have shrunk natural, by 10 cm.

Hartley 28 is a nice wooden boat from NZ. Sorry, I can't scan it in. I have problems with Windows7 and lost my ie8 and can't scan in. May take a a few hours before sorted both out.
    In the meantime you can look at http://hartley-boats.com click on sailing and click on Hartley 28.

One has to understand, I love making things. I made an electric string base when I was young ( never played in a band, I am not musical, gave it away), wooden furniture, Colour TV, double story house (I sold for 1,4 million bucks!) electronic 6 meter gate with all the weldings, Jacuzzi, etc. etc. and now I love to make a wooden boat. Making things will keep me young. Thus any input from the boat-design.net will help me to find direction.

4. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

My apology Tunnels, I may not have it made clear enough to the audience. I am considering to make every dimensions 15% (or 12%) less. Thus the total shape and strength and balancing should stay the same. Just that the boat gets shorter and also narrower at the beam.

But, by shrinking all dimensions and shrink also the length of the berth, I have created a problem for myself. That is the only problem I have to solve.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Bert,
    Look at the Fisherman 18. Excellent for electric.

Easy

6. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Easy,
    Original that was the one I was looking at and in the e-mail correspondence, it was suggested I should look at the Flareline series. But Like Fanie said, it may be too small for the South African coastal sea conditions. He suggested at least 7 meter. What is the difference at sea conditions between the hull shape of the Hartley 28 and the hull of the Fisherman 18 ??
    Bert

7. Willallison

Willallison Senior Member

Bert,
    Simply changing the dimensions will not alter the fundamental problem here. It will still be a planing hullform. You need a displacement hull that requires as little power as possible to push it.

8. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Will, I am confused now. The Hartley 28 is a sailing boat and what I have been able to conclude is, that the hull, is a displacement hull. Or am I wrong again?
    Bert

9. Willallison

Oh - sorry Bert! The Hartley I know of produced designs of all types in the 60's and 70's, mostly plywood boats... I assumed you were still talking about the same type of boat as before....
    I don't know the one you're talking about, sorry...

10. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Will, appology accepted. I really thought I was going banana's. That settles then the issue of selecting my boat plans. I will go for the ocean going sailboat hull of the Hartley 28, with possible some trims to be added in the future.
    This gives me more confidence in having a save boat at unexpected rough seas, should that happen. The waterline is approx 22 feet i.e. square root 22 = 4.69 x 1.34 = 6,2 knots. Whatever power I push into the electric motors, that is the maximum I can go.

I found a source for Japanese Ceder (very light wood) and the very light French plywood. That should give me a light boat. Or should I use Maranti for those parts which requires solid strength??

Anybody out there who has lots of experience with Japanese Ceder? They normally use it for making sea worthy canoe's.

11. Willallison

Hang on Bert! Do you have a drawing of the Hartley? Chances are it will be better than the Flareline, but still may not be a great choice.... An 'older' style offshore yacht is likely to be heavy, with a full keel. You can't simply build it lighter....

12. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Yes Will, I bought them some time ago, before I changed my mind from sailing to electric driven boat. I was not planning to put a heavy keel onto the hull, I will use the twin bilge keel, but without tons of lead. I am considering to mount the two motors on each side of those twin keels (motors in waterproof water dynamic compartment).

As soon I have sorted out (it may never happen !!!!) the Windows7 issues, I will scan it in and attach the boat shape.
    Bert

13. Asleep Helmsman

Asleep Helmsman Senior Member

Which means a multihull.

14. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Joe, That is what Rick is and will be building. It is a pity, that he hassn't got the time, to finish it off for the next few months.

Listen guys, how many boatplans must I buy before I can start my boat? I have here the Fareline 18, which is shot down, I have the Hartley 28, which is too old and too heavy I understood. It does not seem to be a good idee to use light Japanese Cider and French light marine plywood to make the "by 15% shrunk" heavy old Hartley 28 lighter. I am going to talk to the son of the local boatbuilder and see what he has to say.

15. BertKu

BertKu Senior Member

Hi Will,

I am back on Windows XP again. Attached the contour of the Hartley 28, which I like to proposionally reduce by 13% All measurements by 13%.
    No sail, nor mast, but with the upper portion.

I don't know whether I really need those 2 keels, but they are handy to put the motors on.

I assume I could have only 1 rudder with 2 motors, or is it suggested, I should have 2 rudders. This will be more difficult to construct.
    Bert

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.