Boat Design using toothpicks for Physics Project

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by tpru2000, May 15, 2005.

1. tpru2000

tpru2000 New Member

My son has a physics project where he has to design and build a boat out of toothpicks. The hull is to be covered using aluminum foil and the hull has to hold 1 KG of sand. I have spent quite a bit of time searhcing the web for ideas and designs and am unable to find anything. Are there any members out there with any design, ideas, or places I could search :)

Please e-mail me at tom.prusinski@sbcglobal.net

2. nero

nero Senior Member

Who's project is it?

Give your son the material ... Titebond II or III and let him become creative.

3. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

Think of Strip building and that might help. Just layer them up. Go with a simple shape, like a Scow...simply a square box with a sloped front and rear bottom.

Attached Files:

4. yokebutt

yokebutt Boatbuilder

Get out the hot-melt glue gun, start building boats!

Good luck,
    Yokebutt.

5. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Yuck, you work for SBC? That company is evil. :mad: As usual with a school project, I would wonder how much outside help the student is supposed to get. With toothpicks and aluminum foil, I would probably stick with a monohull. One concern I would expect is supporting the foil without puncturing it. Another is joining the toothpicks securely. Other than that, I would just start reading boat design and boatbuilding books for ideas.

Scout Project
    Looking for Book's
    Need reading material and assistance for an amateur with a serious interest!
    Good First Book

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.