boat design software

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by Jamesey01, Jan 23, 2004.

1. Jamesey01

Jamesey01 New Member

Dear good people of this site, i am a new boat builder and would like some info on getting some demo design software. I have autocad 14 but i think something more specific would help, any ideas. :confused:

2. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

3. jprev

jprev Junior Member

Just a thought...

And you probably know this if you have been online for any period of time but...

DEMO

DEMO

DEMO

And then demo again before you buy...

Regards,

Joe

4. joeypfeil

joeypfeil New Member

Acad works awesome for me. I currently use acad 2002. It's surfacing features are somewhat limited, but a little ingenuity gets around that. I learned acad14 completely from the users manual and have never taken a class. I have 18 yrs of aluminum boat building experience and it was very easy to apply acad to what i already know. If you have any questions or need some tips on boat designing with autocad, feel free to email me.

5. Vishy15

Vishy15 New Member

Ref : Your expertise with Autocad

I have Autocad 2002 , But I am a complete beginner . I'd like to start desigining boats from scratch using the software but don't know where to start. Any ideas ? - a simple one to begin with ?
    Cheers
    Vish

6. ocean blue1958

ocean blue1958 New Member

cad with auto measurements

hello iam from darwin australia can anyone tell me of a very user friendly cad programe that has auto measurements included in it and doesnt need a person with harvard university degree to opperate to design a house boat approx 33ft long by 14ft wide and yet able to hug the coast line here in australia preferabley a freebee as its almost impossible to arrange funds transfer interstate let alone overseas cheers.
    ocean blue1958 mark cole darwin australia

7. RussG

RussG New Member

For those without my 30 years of drafting experience, try Alibre or turboCAD V9.2 and up.
    Alibre is equiped with some sheetmetal and is very capable while EASY to learn and use.
    TuirboCAD is only slightly less able but is sheetmetal deficient.

8. Tim_Hastie

Tim_Hastie Junior Member

Auto CAD 14 is good....but it needs to be used with a good hull program like Autoship. But I find Auto CAD is only one good tool you need to make life easy.
    TIM

9. MikeJohns

MikeJohns Senior Member

Rhinoceros(nurbs) eats Autocad(no nurbs) for surfaces. Used Autocad for years, still do for basic drafting but for all design with surfaces especially marine hull design I use Rhino 2.0. Rhino also has some basic hydrostatics included with the program.

Cheers

10. Alan Gluyas

Alan Gluyas Designer / Surveyor

Design software

Have to agree with John about Rhino vs Autocad. I use Autocad for everything apart from the lines and hydrostatics, for which I use ProSurf , but if you are starting from scratch, use Rhino, which you can download as a free demo. McNeel, the Rhino founder, has a whole different approach to Autodesk. McNeel welcomes people to use his software, which is also a reasonable price. Have you looked at the legal price of Autocad recently?

I am still struggling with Rhino, but it will be worth the effort. I have to import my lines drawing as dxf files from ProSurf into Autocad, then play with the design. Autocad on its own is no use for the actual lines drawing process - you would be going for weeks. I do use Autocad for conic developments of hull plating.

ProSurf is also available as a free download, with a certain number of saves (I think 25) allowed before the program will not save anymore . This is not a problem - you just re-install the program and start again with 25 more saves available. I actually have a legal copy, by the way.

I think that rhino will ultimately be more use than ProSurf, as it allows more latitude for developing surfaces. There are also aftermarket plug-ins available for Rhino for marine design purposes. There is a steep learning curve with either Rhino or Autocad. I find I actually think in Autocad, but I have been using it for more years that I can remember. If you are starting from scratch, don't waste time with Autocad.

I know someone who can make drawings with Rhino that you can hardly tell from a photo - check out the website rhino3d.com

Cheers

Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.