Building a swim platform

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rpdwyer, Mar 25, 2015.

1. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Junior Member

Mulling the idea of a summer project of building an extended swim platform that would bolt down on top of my existing factory one on my 97 Larson Cabrio 310. To start, I am looking at what materials to use. I know some use plywood and glass it in... but I wanted to hear if there where lighter alternatives...like coosa or some other material to build from.

What have others used to build a rigid platform that is comparatively light weight.

Thanks,
    --Rick

2. yofish

yofish Previous Member

Rick, I suggest a drawing of what you are after and pics of where. You see, no one is replying perhaps because of your vagueness.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Why do you want to bolt it on top? It will add a lot of weight with no advantage. Extending the existing platform is a better design. You need to first specify what the load will be. That will drive the design.

4. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Junior Member

Agreed on the weight... but the major manufacturers of swim platforms all show the add on swim platforms as coming over the top of the existing...probably because the existing platform is only about 20" deep and has a grab bar running along the entire inside edge of the platform.

Here are two links to a 97 Cabrio like mine showing (albeit poorly) the existing platform:

http://static.boatquest.com/listings/4/1/9/41927_770740.jpg

http://static.boatquest.com/listings/4/1/9/41927_770741.jpg

I'll try to draw up some plans like Yofish suggested...but ideally, the platform would be an add on to the outside edge of the existing as opposed to bolt on top of to keep the weight down... just haven't seen others do it on this boat.

Thanks,
    --Rick

5. yofish

yofish Previous Member

So is this what you are after?

Attached Files:

6. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Junior Member

Precisely.

7. yofish

yofish Previous Member

Gotta be honest, first off I'm a metal guy and I can see after looking here:

http://www.swimplatforms.com/showImages.php?mk=294

how I'd go about making one out of aluminum. I'm not surprised the need for frequent struts to hold such a thing up; even two babes can be heavy. As far as other materials goes, I guess that depends on how pretty you want it to look. Certainly, bolting something on top is the easiest thing to do and obviates all the fancy footwork. I really don't see how weight is going to be much of a concern unless you make it of concrete - it isn't that big.

8. rpdwyer

rpdwyer Junior Member

Well the pic you reference is for a 290 which has a different transom angle than the 310 as seen here in the last pic in the series:

http://www.swimplatforms.com/showImages.php?mk=300

The 310's platform has an underside that slopes away quickly...combined with continuous grab handle running along the entire edge is likely the reason that all 310 platforms I've seen are bolt on top type.

If I wanted to build the platform identical in the link above, is coosa covered in fiberglass as strong as marine grade plywood wrapped in fiberglass of the same thickness... but with less weight?.... or do you have to go with a thicker coosa to get the same rigidity thus offsetting the weight benefits?

Basically what's the reason for using one over the other for building the platform in the link above?

Thanks again for any info.

--Rick