Building a stitch & glue boat in Fiji

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Saqa, Oct 20, 2013.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

If you're applying that much pressure to get the rail into position, you're squeezing out the epoxy in the process. A simple trick to insure the glue line has enough film thickness is to lightly tack a length of monofilament to the rail or the hull, before you crush it down with screws. The fishing line will cause the rail to stand off just a wee bit, usually enough to offer a sufficient enough gap, for the goo to live. Some folks will use thin washers under each screw, for the same reason. I've done this and prefer fiber washers, which can be sanded if necessary. The idea is to have a slight gap (a few mm) so the rail is in a poo, of goo, not mashing it out when you dog down the screws.

2. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Hey good tip that with the mono, thanks!

Bit of a marathon today. Did all the structural work on/under the rear deck tonight. Fit the frame and knees which also act as partitions under the deck. Under deck sole which also acts as horizontal knee. Fit the cleats to take the deck. Cleats to take the hatches. Painted everything with neat epoxy and filleted all and taped the inner hull seams and verticals all wet on wet. Pretty happy with the results

So far still have about a 1/4 of the 5L epoxy glue kit left and probably enough regular epoxy to do the fore deck tomoz. Will need to get another 5L kit of regular epoxy which should see the boat done. I think it was Groper who made a call for 20L kit, not bad mate, you werent too far off but I am glad I didnt get the big tub as the left overs would have just sat around and left me out of pocket by about $180 bucks

3. groper

groper Senior Member

You ain't done yet... and you still got fairing to do which will use up some more :)

4. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Worked some more on the deck I did last night. Beveled the hatch lids covered the edges in duct tape. Painted the cleats with epoxy and made thick fillets on them then placed the lids back inverted. This should in theory give me crisp tight edges all uniform to hide my poor hatch cutting efforts. Covered the deck with fairing compound. In about 8hrs will nick the lid edge with a blade and hopefully they will come out without too much drama. Pics soon

5. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Well fellas, been a busy period working on the boat since the last photo update! Getting there slowly

Starting to fit the frames, here is the rear deck getting up
    [​IMG]

M happy with how it came together
    [​IMG]

All the frames up and sole temp fit
    [​IMG]

The lil one seems to like it
    [​IMG]

Placed the console, drivers seat and bow cap in just to see how she looks with some gear on
    [​IMG]

Time for the big move outside, friend and I had no trouble lifting it sans sole, not bad for a 4.3m boat aye
    [​IMG]

Yup, she fits through the passage and door!
    [​IMG]

My wifes cuz helping out heaps. Here he seems to be having fun fairing the rear deck :D
    [​IMG]

Looks like she had a few low spots, some more epoxy gunk should sort that out. But overall very happy with it
    [​IMG]

The epoxy buildup for the hatch edges came up better then I expected for my skill level. Fits the lids snug. Some areas to touch up but should look after that. Again very happy with that
    [​IMG]

Polystyrene scavenged and fitted as insulation in the fore deck. Will fill the gaps with epoxy gunk and glass it tomoz. Hope a layer of 600gsm roving and a layer or two of 450gsm double bias will suffice
    [​IMG]

Bow eye fitted and epoxied in
    [​IMG]

The other side and also the anchor well. Shaped a block of the semi hardwood damanu for the bow eye to fit the contours of the boat. Then laminated the whole of the bow well with lots of scraps of 450gsm double bias to make it bomb proof. I think there is something like 4 layers in the mix there. Have some air pockets around the bow eye threads which I will grind out and fill with resin
    [​IMG]

So thats all the work to date, tomoz hoping to finish the fore deck and under sole seams

6. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Some bad weather ahead, gotta get this finished ina hurry!

7. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Tonight was a big milestone for the build. Now I only have two bits of wood left to fit to the boat and those are the pair of strakes that will give me the reversed chines and will happen after the boat is flipped again to sand the outer of the hull. All the ply and timber bits that make up the various parts of the boat inside and on gunnels are now attached and everything sanded and ready for glassing. Feels good that end is in sight now. Cant wait to apply the first coat of primer ina few days :)

8. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

The big wet is finally over and progress on the build is rapid

Assembling the console, this gets fillets and tapes
    [​IMG]

Not having any access to pour in foam, had to scavenge polystyrene and glue into place with foaming PU glue
    [​IMG]

Putting in overtime :) Bloody mossies are ferocious!!
    [​IMG]

Slathering on epoxy thickened with baby powder and cutting it back with P60 to level out the surface
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Multiple coats of primer followed by knifing putty into problem areas to fill in the deep scratches from the P60 paper. Cutting this back with P180 wet
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is the last coat of primer I put on, right now sanding this back with P600 to get the painting surface. As I am sanding it I am finding a some pinholes and unfilled scratch marks. Will need to apply some more knifing putty and another coat of primer and more P600 wet sanding
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. retrosub

retrosub Junior Member

Very professional looking boat!

10. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

G'day fellas, lots of progress to report from the past few days

Here is finishing off the build work on the trailer

[​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 289 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr

Painted

[​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 302 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr

Dolly in extended position

[​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 313 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr

Retrieveing

[​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 317 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr
    [​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 318 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr

Dropping the boat on

[​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 328 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr
    [​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 334 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr
    [​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 335 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr
    [​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 343 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr
    [​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 344 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr
    [​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 345 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr
    [​IMG]TooBads in Fiji 012 346 copy by jonny.toobad, on Flickr

Whatdoya reckon :)

11. waikikin

waikikin Senior Member

Very noice,

& matches the Ford noicely,
    Ace effort Saqa
    All the best from Jeff.

12. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Thanks mate. I sprayed the boat and car at the same time but been putting all the effort into the boat and car has been neglected a bit, still need to buff and polish her. Color inspired by the new F6 Typhoon

13. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

14. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member

Thanks

15. Saqa

Saqa Senior Member