Design of a 8,40m semi-performance R.I.B

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Hesus Muerto, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Hesus Muerto

Hesus Muerto Junior Member

Well this is my design of rib based on a stepped Deep-V, racing offshore hull. The deck is designed to cover the needs of touristic use including features such as Toilet inside the console, sink etc. This is my first design and unfortunately my rendering technic is less than poor.... Heh. But once this R.I.B. it is already built I ll show you some pictures of the real thing as well.
    Btw it reached a speed of 60 knots with a single Yamaha350h.

Cheers!
    P.S. I ve included one with the racing craft as well :D (Enjoy)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Hesus Muerto

I d really like to hear your opinion!! I ll be designing a new one for the next few weeks and it would be very helpful to listen some advices about things you dont like on this first design.

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

It might help if you could explain how your design differs from the large number of ribs already on the market.

To make this a feasible project it should have a distinct advantage over the designs of the competition, like the choice of materials, production method or passenger comfort.

4. Hesus Muerto

Well in this design I ve managed to maintain a sport look by "hiding" all these feature that the touristic use demandes. I ve putted a toilet inside the console (were you can seat with comfort) and with a shower as well. Also behind the drivers seat there is under tha hatch a sink and a small kichen were you can cook. In continue the beds are quite big 2.10 x 1.40 m (the one at the back) and 1.95 x 1.00 m (the one at the front) therefore 4 people can sleep in this craft. In continue instead of creating small individual storage spaces I designed 2 very large with wide openings and too smaller ones for the ropes etc.
    This ribs in general focus on the Greek market were owners use them during all summer and they live and sleep on it.

5. Obsession

Obsession Junior Member

Ah ha -- I looked at this yesterday but didn't understand the function of the back "pod" so I wasn't understanding its mass there. I'm used to the idea of the head under the console, but I didn't think of sleeping in the swim platform area... maybe I'm too spoiled and our weather can be unpredictable. I'd love to give it a try in that environment someday!

Personally I love the racing RIB!

6. Hesus Muerto

Heh well in greece people are puting a tent at the front part and they convert it to a decent double bed!!! You see because of the island here when you have a rib you want to be to a different place every day so its a bit difficult to arrange accommodation for the hall summer... :p
    As for the racing rib the deck was designed from a guy that works with the Lamborgini team and its one of kind!! This is not the best picture but I ll upload a better one soon! This rib races with a 300 pro max mercury engine and reaches a speed up to 70 knots. But its main characteristic is that it travells with a speed of 55 knots at sea state 3-4. (It took us almost a year of full scale trials and simulations before that to reach this result!! )

7. Hesus Muerto

To avoid misunderstandings:
    This is not my design. But we bought it so I do have the rights.

Attached Files:

8. Hesus Muerto

And a last comment this photos are with the first engine engine a 300 Evinrude e-tec. We changed the engine because after we tested it at the Dyno it came out 275Hp instead of 300. And the new one (Mercury Pro Max 300) Gives almost 325 Hp with max rpm 7.800.

9. gtflash

gtflash Senior Member

Do the spray rails go downhill forward? or is it illusion?

10. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Those spray rails go all over the place by the looks of it.

Apart from that it loks nice.:)

11. Obsession

Obsession Junior Member

There is definitely a complexity to the strakes there - I've always wondered how much science and how much aesthetics goes into the strakes or rails, especially where they curve into the bow whether they curve up or run straight. Would be a good subject for a thread in general here too. Also very interesting the different configuration for each step - I haven't ever seen anything quite like this configuration before.

12. Hesus Muerto

The spray rails run straight. And at the bow it doesnt really matter if it goes up or run straight. Its more a matter of aesthetics to be honest.
    The hull was designed by Dr. A. Madouvalos. He was studding at Newcastle University and his thesis was the design of the first Deep-V catamaran (and it is being built as we speak). I have to say that he is a very good researcher and that this was the second pleasure craft he designs. So for the complexity of the spray rails and the different configuration of the steppes he d be the appropriate person to ask.

13. Itchy&Scratchy

Itchy&Scratchy Senior Member

Hi Hesus

Thanks for the PM regarding the straightness of your spray rails.:)

I am pretty sure they are straight but , I only commented from the perspective that in the picture they appear to be pretty wobbly. I m pretty sure that they seem to be a lot thicker in some places and thinner in others.

Youve got to understand that when a person is involved with making moulds and plugs for many years they tend to pick up descrepencies quite quickly.
    I would be interested to hear what others perceptions of your photos are.
    At the end of the day , Im not putting your boat down, but if I was in the market to buy one and noticed the rails I might think twice before buying one.

Maybe you could post some photos taken into the light down the length of the rails, if anything to prove me wrong.:)

regards
    Itchy

14. Hesus Muerto

Well we been making molds for a while now (since 1987) :D
    And I totally understand what your telling me. Unfortunately I dont have a decent picture at the moment but I ll got down to the factory and ll take one tomorrow. The rails at some points they are almost as thick as the chine!!![​IMG]

I just found that one. I think it gives you a better idea about the "wobbly" part of the rails at the bow.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.