Building a Small Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mgriffin, Mar 30, 2009.

1. motoklas

motoklas Junior Member

modular boat

Here are some photos of Bruce Hector's project TIMS!

Attached Files:

2. ben2go

ben2go Boat Builder Wanna Be

1 person likes this.
  3. motoklas

motoklas Junior Member

Ben,
    Thank you, you helped me to find more information and photos there, that I had before!
    Even, there wasn't any other comment or answer on my dilemmas, I am satisfied in some way, because for the first time I put them systematically on a paper (screen)
    Regards,
    Zoran

4. BWD

BWD Senior Member

Wow.
    Damn the torpedos...

Attached Files:

5. GTO

GTO Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  6. motoklas

motoklas Junior Member

Thank You on excellent links, same were familiar to me, some are new!
    For a long period I knew for Glen’s work, even have photo-copy of his book about bout-building from plywood (classic system)… It is somewhere on attic, I didn’t use it for years, but I think that it must be the same Glen…
    Nice micro-tugs really, but I am afraid that I might fell in the trap known as “catch 22”, resulting in making plans to build boat of 22 (feet), or even 22 (meters)… The same is with Bolger’s design, of which some are really “boxy”, but some are really cute and elegant…
    I just don’t have enough of recourse for real boat: money, time, knowledge, and building-space…
    I plan to start construction at the autumn, work during winter and use it from the spring of the next year… Also, not to forget - to use it as land-camper…
    Best regards,
    Zoran

7. GTO

GTO Senior Member

Zoran,

I can appreciate the consideration you are putting into your "camper" boat. I'm looking at building something for the same purpose. (and have been for way to long. It is time to cut some wood.)

Regarding your boat requirements as written so far:

4-8 mph river currents,
    live-aboard camper,
    low cost, simple build, for next spring
    handle some rough weather
    trailerable by car.

(And I am adding an enclosed cabin so that you will be securely out of the weather when sleeping and cooking. But thats just me. I'm middle aged and roughing it outdoors all the time in all conditions has less appeal for me.)

Given that you want to build quickly and at low cost, you almost have to purchase plans. There are quite a few things that can come up unexpectedly that will take time to solve when building "off-the-cuff". Having plans, you will avoid having to come up with your own (and possibly wrong) solutions and let the build progress quickly. In addition, a well established design will have a lot of bugs in the design worked out, increasing the odds that once you start using the boat, you will be happy with it. (This assumes you select the correct design for your intended use.)

Now, regarding your intended use. If you are planing on sleeping, cooking, and in general spending quite a bit of time in your camper boat, it is going to have to be a somewhat larger boat, in my opinion. Say something in the 14 - 18 foot range. Unless you are a small person or a contortionist, you just have to have the size to have something approaching a comfortable living area .

Using the Bolger "square" boats as an example, they maximise living area for a given boat length. Maybe not pretty or classic boat looking but for me, being able to stretch out on a comfortable bunk instead of folding myself into one, makes up a lot for the boxy look.

And finally, I'm not sure your 3 - 5 horsepower engine is really enough when facing a river with the currents stated. I'm not able to comment intelligently on power requirements, maybe someone else can comment on that aspect.

Here are a couple more links and keep in mind, some (most?) small sail boats can be turned into slow but efficient power cruisers.

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/
    http://www.devlinboat.com/designcatalog.htm#powerboats

Hope some of that helps you.

8. GTO

GTO Senior Member

With further thought,

If you really want cheap and fast, consider something like this:

http://www.instantboats.com/windsprint.htm

For comparison, it took me 3 - 4 months part time work to build. I also replaced the dagger board with a rotating external leeboard. That added another couple of months of time to finally get right. I started the build with no boat building experience and limited wood working experience. I also had to buy a lot of clamps. A lot of clamps..

You could take that design, replace the pointy stern with a small transom, say 1 - 1.5 feet in width, for mounting your outboard, and add a forward deck and small cabin. Increase the plywood to 1/2 inch or so to make it more robust, and maybe increase the height of the side panels from 15" to 20". And of course leave off the dagger board and mast.

Just a random thought.

9. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I put some phots of a small boat made in ply a few days ago ..here is the finished thing with a british seagull for power

Attached Files:

10. motoklas

motoklas Junior Member

short holiday!

Dear all,
    Sorry for delay in my answer, but I spent a few nice days during loooooong weekend! More from me tomorrow!
    Thank you for all the opinions!
    Regards,
    Zoran

11. motoklas

motoklas Junior Member

#pistonbroke,
    Thank you for the photo of really cute boat!
    Small outboards from great "British Seagull" is a legend here, very rare and mostly not for sale... I sow just one in my life...
    Regards,
    Zoran

12. motoklas

motoklas Junior Member

#GTO,
    Thank you very much on your comments and suggestions!
    Yes, that is the best time “to cut the wood” and start building… I am afraid that next year should be too late… I will put here some comments and answers:

1. CABINE… yes, it shall have small cabin, as I mentioned, something similar to land tear-drop campers; that is the main purpose of my future vehicle; during my land voyages, I will use it as a camper on land, but rushing to go to some water, of course; it will has a bed, large enough for me and (if I am lucky) for some nice girl-friend, but not too big! Small place for “kitchen”, even I will not cook a lot, just some coffee, tea, soup… mostly cans and salads! there are a lot of good restaurants in small places on the banks of river and canals… above the “kitchen” will be large openings in a roof/top, so there will be enough of fresh air and standing height during nice weather; during bad weather, I can cook from inside, seating on a box (toilet inside); it will have no electricity, air-condition or any other complicated system – using it will be similar to camping in a tent or in really modest trailer; I think and I hope that there will be truth in saying that ladies like boats with cabins, curtains, vases with flowers, kitchens, and so on…

2. PLANS … You are right, the most simple and sure way should be to find the proper plans, buy them and build a boat strictly to them; even the better shall be to find a kit-complete and build a boat using it… but, there are two problems> the first is real – to find a proper boat, that would suit all of our needs and wishes; the second is more subjective, but not easier at all – all of us, no mater how ignorant to the meter, dream to design and build his own boat! I will try to be more objective…

3. SIZE … even micro-shanty boxes are cute, they are more an brain exercise then practical crafts! I don’t have time and recourses to do just that and please myself! Beside being uncomfortable, a boat that is only 8 feet long and 4 feet wide – shall be very dangerous and our wide rivers; So, my boat will be long in total 16 feet, if built as a module system (inspired by Bruce Hector`s TIMS), with on boat with cabin (tear-drop camper style) and one open boat similar in style to micro-jonboat, or better said to PD Racers (Bolger’s brick too); both will have dimensions circa 8 feet long, 4 feet wide! If I decide to make just a simple one-hull construction, it will have dimensions of 12-14 feet long and 4 feet wide!

4. SHAPE … Probably that the hull will be of simple scow type, better said boxy brick – simple and quick to build, with the best possible use of inside space for small boats; good static stability also; Yes, that is Bolger influence – I admire all of his boats, as the practical and cheap solutions… I will consider two other designs of a hull> at first, PAR`s cute tug, if I can find plans for it! The second type will be WINDSPRINT, which attracted my attention a long time before… Very elegant and cute hull, probably very efficient in water… maybe a little more complicated to build, and with less inside space for that dimensions? I am not sure a size and style of a cabin!

5. MATERIAL … definitely water-resistant plywood! Dimensions are the same in USA – 8 feet cross 4 feet, and that shall dictate the entire dimensions of the boat!

6. POWER … I know that little T OMOS shall not be enough in rough conditions, but mostly all of our boats use only such outboards; the most popular type here, is metal boat in style to USA jonboat, long 6 meters (around 20 feet) – simple, ugly and heavy, but practical and not too expensive! I can consider two-cylinder 250 cc TOMOS 10 (Ten HP) or two smaller in the same time, put wide apart…

So, I will be glad to exchange more ideas about my future boat and similar designs of more qualified members and experienced amateurs. To be closed in own dreams can result in bad solutions and dangerous craft!

Regards,
    Zoran

13. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Well Zoran make sure you dont see another British Seagull ...I think they are useless ...less than 1 hp whatever the label says ...no recoil start ...no clutch or forward and rev on most models and a hot exhaust to burn yourself on ......and 20hp on a 20 ft boat is not enough..takes tooooo long to get anywhere ...

14. dskira

dskira Previous Member

This modular boat is absolutly great. I like very much the simple design, and the flexibility.

1 person likes this.

15. motoklas

motoklas Junior Member

"British Seagull"

#PISTONBROKE
    Yes, I know that! I would keep "British Seagull“ in my room, beside computer...! That is just nostalgia...

But, we are used to small simple motors, without clutch or reverse... Talking about average people like me - no rush, no hurry! The goal is to cruise by boat - not to quickly arrive somewhere! Displacement hulls, slow and stable...
    Regards,
    Zoran

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.