Building a Small Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by mgriffin, Mar 30, 2009.

1. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

You mean 8', not 8". I like the mini max also. Maybe the super spartan?

2. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Or a runabout? how about the picklefork 3 point hydro?

3. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

I would go for a 10' runabout that I would use as a car on the water.

4. apex1

apex1 Guest

Calm down, hey!
    We will let you go for a aircraftcarrier...................................as soon as we know how to build!;)

5. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

Alright. I am still going to build a 10 foot runabout as my 2nd boat or 3rd boat :D.

6. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

The runabout is probably going to be my 3rd boat.

7. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

C:\Users\Mike\Documents\How to make a website.odt Hello, I am finally back. I am trying an expirement. I need one of you to c&p the link to your browser and see what happens. Nice progress on the boat. I e-mailed the guy selling the plans. I am going to purchase them soon. I will surprise you when you see what my boat looks like. (7.5 foot with an inboard?!)

8. lewisboats

lewisboats Obsessed Member

That would work on your computer but there is no web address so anyone else will get a page not found because it is pointing to a folder that doesn't exist on their computer. You have to upload your pages to a server then post the URL to it.

9. apex1

apex1 Guest

So now, what was wrong with that boat Mike?

10. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

It is that boat. Just a little different. It will be EXACTLY the same, JUST not a flat bottom, and I don't think any self designed boats that I designed are really going to convince my parents that it is going to work. That is why I decide to buy designs instead of making my own. I like the fact that the boat I am going to build is not the first one so I know it works.

11. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

12. apex1

apex1 Guest

Yes my friend, that will not only convince your parents, but PAR and Rasor and me too!!!! And if you (wrong) when you made it come true, or while you? let us have a share of the task.
    OK?

I´ve said that before (but old people reply thier crap), make it a "happening" we can share, and be shure, if you stay honest and frank, the forum will lead you to a achievable goal!
    If you have the plans (or as soon as you have), make shure, at least PAR and me should know.

There are some miracles in this world, you will notice later, (many people believe they know sooner), that make dreams come true in easier ways, than the hard ones.

But first you have to dream, than to reduce to the possible, and after that.......to the affordable.!.!.!

Show us the task now!
    We will handle it!

Yours
    sincerely
    Richard

13. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I question the soundness of this particular design for your needs. This boat will be quite tender (tipsy) if the CG is very high. If you place a cabin on this boat, it surely would raise the CG enough to cause it to flop over on one of the chines. If used as intended (rowing) then the CG is kept low and centered, which is just what this design requires. This design will be very slow under oars or paddle and if attempts to push it past 4 MPH, it will pile up a huge wave train and point it's bow to the sky. 1 HP would be enough to move to 4 MPH, with 2 HP having the ability to over power her in calm conditions. What's your logic behind this selection?

14. mgriffin

mgriffin Previous Member

I liked the Vee bottom. I am not going to add a cabin though! that would be a waste of money! And as for the engine, I am going to find an old 1.5 mebbe 2 hp. that can be easily fixed up. It will be an inboard, the shaft running thru the keel, so the prop will not touch land if she is grounded. The rudder will be on the stern, and will not go past the boats keel. So, imagine, if the boat were grounded, the only thing touching the sand/dirt/etc. would be the keel of the boat. That is one of the reasons I chose the Vee bottom, is because of the advantage of the the keel being lower than the prop and the rudder.
    Another reason I chose the Vee bottom is becuase of the stability in rough seas, or rough rivers (haha) or rough lakes (again). Speed doesn't really matter to me PAR, and I'm not going to use oars (EVER!!!). I might have to put a mast on her though to keep from rowing if the engine dies (hopefully not). Oh and one last IMPORTANT thing PAR: I am going to put a centrifugal clutch on the engine so if the prop hits land or something.

15. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A V hull shaped like that is considerable less stable then a flat bottom of similar area. I wouldn't want to stand up in a hull shaped like that. If you sneeze, it's going to roll.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.